Home » Sports » College Sports
Men's Hockey: UNH knots UVM
Men's Basketball: St. Anselm cruises past St. Mike's, leads NE-10
UNH moves to 17-8-5 overall with a 12-7-4 mark in Hockey East. Vermont is now 10-15-5 overall, 7-11-5 HEA. The Wildcats take over sole possession of first place with 28 points in league play.
Trailing by a goal in the second period, New Hampshire tied the game at 1-1 with a power play tally at 8:53. Trevor van Riemsdyk fired a shot from the top of the point that hit a Vermont defender on its way into the net. Eric Knodel and Grayson Downing assisted on the goal.
Vermont took its 1-0 lead just 56 seconds into the second period. Jacob Fallon fired a puck from between the circles that beat DeSmith high, glove side. Chris McCarthy and Kyle Reynolds assisted.
In a fast-paced open third period, neither team was able to crack the scoreboard. The Wildcats had numerous chances including a Connor Hardowa shot that clanged the pipe just inside of the 11-minute mark, and a grade A bid by Austin Block just before time expired in regulation.
The Wildcats controlled play in overtime recording the only three shots on goal during the extra time.
DeSmith made double-digit saves in the second and third periods and moves to 16-6-5 on the season. UVM's Brody Hoffman stopped 21 shots and is now 10-15-5 on the season. Vermont held a 31-22 shot advantage in the game.
The Wildcats were 1-for-4 on the power play. UVM was 0-1 in the extra-man.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Tom Herzig's Trackside: Cannan race offers $5,000 for first-place finisher - 0
- Ragan tops NASCAR Goliaths at Talladega - 0
- NASCAR upholds Penske penalties - 0
- NASCAR Sprint Cup: Harvick late move wins Richmond - 0
- Tom Herzig's Trackside: Thunder Road plays host to ACT race - 0
- Tom Herzig's Trackside: Valenti Modified back at Monadnock - 0
- Kyle Busch completes Texas two-step with win in NRA 500 - 0
- Jimmie Johnson dominates at Martinsville - 0
- Tom Herzig's Trackside: Valenti Modified Series kicks off season - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Rochester man facing up to 30 years in prison for brutal assault - 0
- Man who confronts burglar in Nashua gets bit - 0
- Police say Nashua man struck woman with Jeep - 0
- Last-minute lobbying frantic as House prepares for casino vote - 1
- Pease chosen to receive new KC-46A refueling tanker; to bring 100 jobs - 4
- FBI agent kills Florida man during questioning about Marathon bombing suspect - 1
- Police seek man they say passed counterfeit bill at Manchester mall - 1
- Lightning strikes home in Exeter - 0
- For now, no more breakfasts in Manchester's Veterans Park - 11
License revocations for DWI announced
UPDATED: Derry marks a soldier's death
Experts weigh in on UNH logo designs