Home » Sports » College Sports
Men's Hockey: UNH knots UVM
Men's Basketball: St. Anselm cruises past St. Mike's, leads NE-10
UNH moves to 17-8-5 overall with a 12-7-4 mark in Hockey East. Vermont is now 10-15-5 overall, 7-11-5 HEA. The Wildcats take over sole possession of first place with 28 points in league play.
Trailing by a goal in the second period, New Hampshire tied the game at 1-1 with a power play tally at 8:53. Trevor van Riemsdyk fired a shot from the top of the point that hit a Vermont defender on its way into the net. Eric Knodel and Grayson Downing assisted on the goal.
Vermont took its 1-0 lead just 56 seconds into the second period. Jacob Fallon fired a puck from between the circles that beat DeSmith high, glove side. Chris McCarthy and Kyle Reynolds assisted.
In a fast-paced open third period, neither team was able to crack the scoreboard. The Wildcats had numerous chances including a Connor Hardowa shot that clanged the pipe just inside of the 11-minute mark, and a grade A bid by Austin Block just before time expired in regulation.
The Wildcats controlled play in overtime recording the only three shots on goal during the extra time.
DeSmith made double-digit saves in the second and third periods and moves to 16-6-5 on the season. UVM's Brody Hoffman stopped 21 shots and is now 10-15-5 on the season. Vermont held a 31-22 shot advantage in the game.
The Wildcats were 1-for-4 on the power play. UVM was 0-1 in the extra-man.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Bruins take 3-0 series lead - 1
- Bruins cruise to Game 2 win over Rangers - 1
- Game 1 thriller goes to Bruins in OT - 0
- Bruins vs. Rangers: Here we go again - 0
- Bruins win Game 7 in overtime in epic comeback - 2
- Bruins’ scoring woes continue; series finale tonight - 0
- Goalie Reimer brilliant against Bruins as Leafs force Game 6 - 0
- Krejci 'tricks' Toronto, Bruins one win from advancing - 0
- Bruins beat Toronto for series lead - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Talk of UNH logo change brings out passions - 0
- John Habib's City Sports: Gosselin stepping down as city AD - 0
- Lackey sharp as Red Sox pound Cleveland, Masterson - 0
- Manchester Vet Center just 'a great place' - 0
- NHIAA Roundup: Bedford netmen earn spot in state final - 0
- NHIAA Scoreboard, May 24, 2013 - 0
- NHIAA Div. I Track: Lynch, North boys prevail - 0
- Two found dead in Belmont; one man detained as part of investigation - 0
- Weather this weekend may be more like Veterans Day - 0
NHIAA Scoreboard, May 24, 2013
Memorial Day services, events around NH
Just say it: Our fight is with radical Islam
The casino vote: The House did its duty