Home » Sports » Hockey » Bruins/NHL
Chara, Rask lead Bruins over Panthers
Chris Kelly registered his first tally of the season and Milan Lucic and Daniel Paille also scored for the Bruins, who won their third game in a row and improved to 7-1-1 on the road.
Tomas Kopecky netted his second goal in three contests for the Panthers, who failed on all four of their opportunities with the power play to drop to 0-for-17 during their 0-2-3 skid at home.
After Lucic opened the scoring at 7:57 of the first period, Chara doubled the advantage nearly six minutes later. The 6-foot-9 defenseman stayed on his skates after a brilliant spin move before gliding into the right faceoff circle and backhanding the puck over the left shoulder of Jacob Markstrom (28 saves) for his third goal of the season.
Kopecky answered just over 1 1/2 minute later, but Kelly countered with a power-play tally at 2:30 of the second period. Paille skated into the offensive zone and watched as his deflected shot skidded right to Kelly, who tapped it into the open net from the doorstep to give Boston a 3-1 lead.
GAME NOTEBOOK: Florida nearly tied the contest at 1-1 in the first period, but Drew Shore's bid was foiled by Tyler Seguin prior to the puck venturing over the goal line. The horn briefly went off to signify a goal, but play continued. ... Boston LW Brad Marchand, who registered nine goals on only 20 shots this season, led the team with six shots on goal. ... The Bruins outshot the Panthers by a 3-0 margin during Florida's four-minute power play that bridged the second and third periods. Boston has killed off 21 consecutive short-handed situations.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Hillsborough district names its Teacher of Year - 0
- Nashua Board of Education signals new leadership - 0
- PSU adjunct faculty members approve three-year contract - 0
- UNH, trustees seek to reverse arbitrator's decision to reinstate professor - 13
- NH students take part in computer education week - 0
- Math world stunned by UNH lecturer's find - 3
- Consultant report on UNH Manchester issues almost done - 4
- 'Embrance the challenge ... behold the view,' MCPHS grads told - 0
- Students add their special touch to Christmas - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Manchester's O'Neill, Lebanon's Morrill form UNH's 'Granite Wall' - 0
- Stretch of I-293 North and South closed after propane tank crashes - 1
- $13m contract recommended for next phase of Nashua parkway - 0
- Couple charged in connection with Exeter burglaries - 0
- Proposed article sets rules for use of temporary signs - 0
- Newsreel: State unemployment stable; Gates Foundation CEO named; generic Viagra out soon - 0
- Leclerc takes second place in men's hockey - 0
- Trinity-Central game pushed to tonight - 0
- Derryfield's Hyde, Faulkner star in ski relays - 0
Shaheen, Ayotte split on House budget plan