Cheshire County Fish & Game Club seeks waivers for building indoor shooting range
Only about 44 acres of the property is located in Keene and sits in the city's rural district. The remaining acreage is in Sullivan.
Club facilities currently include a 100-, 200- and 300-yard rifle range, a pistol range under covered firing points, two trap fields, an archery range and a clubhouse. The proposed building would be a state-of-the-art facility allowing for shooting competitions to come to the area, with 20 shooting lanes on one side, a lobby, storage, kitchen, bathrooms, office space and classroom in the center of the building, with shooting lanes for archery and air guns on the other side.
The building would provide an indoor shooting range for the Cheshire County Shooting Sports Education Foundation, which is a separate nonprofit, and would own and manage the building.
"There's a tremendous need for classes and training from people who want to shoot," Kent Whitman, president of the foundation, said Friday.
The organization is asking for two waivers from city building codes in its site plan application.
The first waiver from city lighting standards asks that outdoor lights be allowed at a height of 20 feet instead of 15 feet. The second, from city regulations regarding architectural and visual appearance asks for parking to be allowed in front of the building.
The proposed building would be 26,138 square feet and would cost $6 to $8 million, Whitman said.
To support the project, the foundation is raffling off 30 guns in 30 days from June 1 to June 30. Tickets went on sale Feb. 1 and will not be sold after May 15.
To learn about the raffle, go to the foundation's website at ccssef.org.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- ‘Bow Wow Bedford’ to offer micro-chipping, rabies shots - 0
- Senior housing project's wetlands request is tabled - 0
- Salem ready to do battle with emerald ash borer - 0
- Hudson band mom ready for another Boston Marathon - 0
- Fish and Game: Skimming across water illegal, and bad idea - 0
- Souhegan High grad still on stage as one of American Idol’s’ top 11 - 0
- When help seems far away, Errol Rescue Squad founder, award winner, is close by - 0
- Merging modern tastes, historic homes can take an expert's help - 0
- Showcasing traditional arts at the NH Old House & Barn Expo - 0
Win tickets to see Jillian Michaels
Win tickets to see Rusted Root & The Wailers
Taken for a ride: Hooksett’s Pinkerton deal
John DiStaso's Granite Status: Shaheen among speakers at Senate Dems' climate change 'talkathon'
Manchester schools project budget surplus