Home » Opinion » Editorials
Guns in schools: Not in classrooms
The hysterical anti-gun lobby need not create any false fears regarding teachers carrying loaded weapons in classrooms. The concerns are real, and obvious, enough. That is not because guns are evil or awful things. They are not. It is because the risks inherent in introducing firearms into that environment outweigh the potential benefits.
Even the best-trained teachers have off days. The classroom is a high-distraction environment. One forgetful moment - setting the gun on the desk, failing to snap the holster or lock the drawer, forgetting to engage the safety - could end in tragedy. The odds of that happening would be far greater than the odds of a teacher stopping an intruder.
A school classroom is not at all like the home. Gun owners can and usually do teach their children to respect firearms and handle them safely. How many children in a public school classroom will have been so instructed? How many teachers, even if trained, will properly store their guns 100 percent of the time?
No, the classroom is no place for loaded firearms. That is not to say that schools should be weapon-free zones. Ensuring that some school personnel are trained and armed is an idea worth pursuing. Letting teachers carry guns in the classroom is not.
READER COMMENTS: 1
- Wheeler in Dist. 5: A GOP fighter for the little guy - 3
- GOP for legal pot? Hemignway's high help - 12
- Obama's indecision: In NH, only Ayotte urges action - 43
- Concealed controversy: Our 'Mother, may I' gun policy - 40
- Innis in the 1st: A strong choice for Congress - 11
- Obama waits: A terror threat grows - 41
- For U.S. Senate, Scott Brown best NH candidate come November - 72
- Race and policing: America has a problem - 0
- Strength in faith: Gaining it from Jim Foley's family - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- NHIAA Boys' Soccer Preview: Talent to boot - 0
- Last call at home for Fisher Cats tonight - 0
- Jessica Goldman was on the move - 0
- Band camp gets Memorial musicians in rhythm a week early - 1
- Drew Cline: Small sleights of hand in Republican primaries around NH - 0
- Where is Shaheen? Hiding from you - 5
- Scott and Genevieve Kelley - 0
- Dan Tuohy's Granite Status: Shaheen takes on illegal immigration - 0
- Market Basket deal reached; Arthur T. Demoulas to return - 18
Reports: Market Basket doomsday plan would shutter 61 of 71 stores if deal not struck soon
GOP for legal pot? Hemignway's high help
Where is Shaheen? Hiding from you
Ohio's Rob Portman: GOP can win back Senate