Home » Opinion » Editorials
Guns in schools: Not in classrooms
The hysterical anti-gun lobby need not create any false fears regarding teachers carrying loaded weapons in classrooms. The concerns are real, and obvious, enough. That is not because guns are evil or awful things. They are not. It is because the risks inherent in introducing firearms into that environment outweigh the potential benefits.
Even the best-trained teachers have off days. The classroom is a high-distraction environment. One forgetful moment - setting the gun on the desk, failing to snap the holster or lock the drawer, forgetting to engage the safety - could end in tragedy. The odds of that happening would be far greater than the odds of a teacher stopping an intruder.
A school classroom is not at all like the home. Gun owners can and usually do teach their children to respect firearms and handle them safely. How many children in a public school classroom will have been so instructed? How many teachers, even if trained, will properly store their guns 100 percent of the time?
No, the classroom is no place for loaded firearms. That is not to say that schools should be weapon-free zones. Ensuring that some school personnel are trained and armed is an idea worth pursuing. Letting teachers carry guns in the classroom is not.
READER COMMENTS: 3
- Another View -- Jeff Goley and Will Infantine: Time for an increase in weekly benefits for NH unemployed - 3
- George Will: Understanding our divisions - 0
- Jonah Goldberg: Attorney General Eric Holder's race card - 0
- Another View -- Bobby Jindal: NH should trust parents to choose schools - 13
- Charles Arlinghaus: A $400 million hole was just blown in the state budget - 5
- Thomas Sowell: Fraudulent stats behind 'equal pay' claims - 1
- Jonah Goldberg: The left's arrogant groupthink - 0
- Rep. Adam Schroadter: Penalties for marijuana use in NH should fit the crime - 10
- Pat Buchanan: What would Reagan do with Russia, Syria, etc.? - 6
READER COMMENTS: 0
- BIA to honor business leaders - 0
- Earth Day is more like Earth Daze - 0
- Police say man clocked doing 100 on Route 11 in Wilmot - 0
- Portsmouth arrests 2 for heroin sales - 2
- Two crashes reported on I-93 in Canterbury, Londonderry - 0
- Man killed in Seabrook fire identified - 0
- Student brings knife into Nashua school - 0
- Ex-director jailed for theft from Londonderry nursery school - 1
- UPDATE: Search suspended for Northfield man a second day - 0
Manchester mayor: 'It's the tax cap budget'
Derry woman accused of burglaries
Decency displayed: Havenstein's nice start