action:article | category:NEWS03 | adString:NEWS03 | zoneID:67
Amber Blackman

Amber Blackman

Dec 4, 2014

Fugitive of the Week Jonathan Benedict

CAPTURED

Jonathan E. Benedict

Oct 30, 2014

Darrell Cook

Darrell W. Cook

Oct 2, 2014

Michael Polchies

CAPTURED

Michael Polchies

Sep 25, 2014

Home » News » Crime

February 26. 2013 2:43PM

Man arrested in Claremont armed standoff remains in jail

CLAREMONT - The Provence Avenue man arrested after a three-hour armed standoff with police Friday remains in jail after he was arraigned on felony charges in the 5th Circuit Court, Claremont District Division, Tuesday morning.

Anthony Jarvis, 33, of 10 Provence Ave., continues to be held on a parole detainer in the Sullivan County House of Corrections in Unity. He was charged with felony level possession of marijuana with intent to sell and falsifying physical evidence Tuesday morning, Claremont Police Chief Alexander Scott said in a press release.

Scott also corrected a typographical error in the Friday press release that gave Jarvis' wrong birth year.

At Jarvis' arraignment Friday, he was held on $100,000 cash-only bail and given a March 7 court date in the district court.

Jarvis is the son of Anthony Jarvis Sr., who was fatally shot in a confrontation with police in Charlestown in July of 2008 after a state trooper had been injured in a shooting.

On Friday, police responded to Jarvis' home at 11:59 a.m. to assist the N.H. Department of Corrections Probation and Parole Department with a parole search, Scott said in a press release Friday evening. During the search, Jarvis fled into the home and locked the door behind him.

While inside, he made threatening statements about "doing violence to himself with a firearm," Scott said. "Based on those statements, officers retreated, established a protective perimeter around the house and called for additional officers to respond to the scene."

State police, the Sullivan County Sheriff's Department and additional city police responded to assist. Neighboring homes were evacuated for safety, and a command post was established. The State Police Special Weapons and Tactics Team was placed on standby.

Officers at the scene were able to make cellphone contact with Jarvis through a family member. Around 3 p.m. Jarvis agreed to come out of the house peacefully. He was taken into custody without incident.

According to the N.H. Department of Justice website, the 2008 incident involving Jarvis' father occurred after Jarvis Sr. shot a state trooper in the upper right thigh and again when he was on the floor, hitting the trooper in the finger and right leg. The trooper returned fire, killing Jarvis Sr. The Attorney General's Office ruled that incident a justifiable use of deadly force.


Follow us:
Twitter icon Facebook icon RSS icon
  • Whom do you think bears the brunt of the blame for the mayhem this weekend in Keene?
  • KSC students
  • 37%
  • KSC administration
  • 2%
  • Police
  • 6%
  • Visitors from out of town
  • 18%
  • A combination of any/all of the above
  • 37%
  • Total Votes: 2483

 New Hampshire Business Directory

  

    ADD YOUR BUSINESS TODAY!

 New Hampshire Events Calendar
    

    SHARE EVENTS FOR PUBLICATION, IT'S FREE!

Upcoming Events