Sep 18, 2014
Sep 4, 2014
Aug 28, 2014
Aug 21, 2014
Windham kidnapping trial postponed; Mass. man's defense needs time
The defense for Luis Carvalho, 32, of Taunton, Mass., submitted a request to delay the trial, saying they were also recently provided with additional police reports, search warrants and "information regarding one of the guns allegedly used" by the suspects.
Prosecutors say two other men who accompanied Carvalho on the night he allegedly stormed the woman's house remain at large.
The 20-year-old woman called 911 as the men were banging on her door about 12:30 a.m. on April 15, according to police.
"The woman mentioned a gun and was subsequently involved in a struggle. The woman stopped responding and the line eventually went dead," police said in an affidavit. "She later informed officers the phone was physically removed from her hand."
Prosecutors said late last year that they can tie Carvalho to the case with DNA evidence and a truck used during the alleged kidnapping.
Public defender Devens Hamlen said in court papers earlier this month that the state is still collecting information about DNA testing performed during the investigation.
Prosecutors have not yet disclosed any details about the DNA samples that were collected.
A new trial date has been set for May 6.
When police arrived at the home, they spotted a man dressed in black flee from the front door.
A blue GMC Yukon speed away from the home with no lights on, police said.
A police officer followed the truck and attempted to stop it before it crashed into a wooded area off of Romans Road in Windham.
The truck crashed while attempting a U-turn, police said.
The driver fled on foot and set off a widespread search by police from Pelham, Salem, Hudson and New Hampshire State Police.
A Windham and Salem police officer apprehended Carvalho in the woods "dressed in all black" with the help of a K-9, according to the affidavit. Carvalho was allegedly in possession of a 12-gauge Remington shotgun when he was arrested.
The truck was registered to a Mansfield, Mass., woman whose father told police, "that he believed Luis Carvalho was driving the GMC Yukon," police said.
Carvalho was indicted on charges of kidnapping, burglary, criminal threatening with a deadly weapon, being a felon in possession of a weapon and false imprisonment.
What prompted the alleged attack has not been disclosed. The woman told police she was forced to the floor at gunpoint and restrained with zip ties by the men.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Sugar Hill man pleads guilty to criminal trespassing - 0
- Ex-Connecticut governor guilty of violating federal campaign laws - 0
- Chester deputy fire chief jailed for violating restraining order - 2
- Police release photos from alleged hotel robbery - 0
- Nashua driver charged after crashing car 25 minutes after getting 92-mph speeding ticket - 1
- Chester deputy fire chief jailed for allegedly violating restraining order - 2
- Manchester police release photos of men they believe robbed mother, daughters at local Holiday Inn - 0
- Son says shooting of mom during DEA raid was a mistake - 28
- Dalton man sentenced for assaulting inmate - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Dave D'Onofrio's Patriots Notebook: Not your standard victory - 0
- Diane Foley is a lady of extraordinary elegance - 0
- Mayor's police contract veto may face override in Nashua - 0
- Havenstein to unveil 'Pledge 2.0' today, saying, 'I won't spend money we don't have' - 1
- Motivation Matters: Hey, boss! How am I doing? - 0
- Big Idea Group a startup breeding ground - 0
- North Country summit to highlight job creation - 0
- Food stamp loophole not a go in NH - 0
- Your Turn, NH -- Everett Pollard: Mount Sunapee's master plan will benefit whole region - 2
Food stamp loophole not a go in NH
7 hikers rescued from Pawtuckaway
Foreclosure relief clinic Oct. 1 in Derry
NH's future: Dean Kamen highlights a problem
- Mass. Supreme Judicial Court has found upskirt photos taken on a subway aren't illegal. Should such voyeurism be a crime?
- Total Votes: 917