Home » News » Public Safety
'Catastrophic failure' hits Belknap County emergency dispatch system
Dispatchers called police departments in nine towns to let them know of the emergency situation, Wright said. He explained that the office had working landlines and cellphones, and patrol officers still could communicate with each other between cruisers. As of Tuesday morning, what caused the communication system to shut down is still a puzzle.
Wright said something happened between the microwave link and the PC (printed circuit board) card.
"We have 30 PC cars in the radio room and each single card had to be reset," he explained.
He said the system was upgraded recently so it would work smoothly with the New Hampshire State Police communications systems, and in the past two weeks, the department began using the new communications tower on Belknap Mountain. Still, he said the main body of the dispatching equipment and consoles are between 20 and 30 years old, and system failures are becoming more frequent, although nothing like Monday night's. He said it is becoming harder and harder to find parts to make repairs.
The office is hopeful its application for a $297,000 grant to replace the aging equipment will be granted by the state Department of Safety, Homeland Security & Emergency Management.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Police hope for driving dream, but prepared for driving nightmare in Loudon - 0
- Police investigate serious accident in Manchester - 0
- Wakefield woman dies in crash; Rye woman crashes into utility pole - 0
- Wakefield woman killed in Milton crash - 0
- Portsmouth police locate, arrest driver after accident - 0
- Two vehicle crash in Milton ends with one driver sustaining fatal injuries - 0
- Assisted living facility proposed for Londonderry - 0
- Plaistow police chief passes away after battle with cancer - 0
- Fire damages building at Jaffrey transfer station - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Portland takes first of two from NH Fisher Cats Saturday - 0
- Readers' Choice winners say public vote is meaningful - 0
- Amherst mini-golf course is readers' top choice - 0
- Twins Smoke Shop focuses on good cigars, happy clients - 0
- 'Backstage' NASCAR passes are fans' delight in Loudon - 0
- Motorcyclist killed, passenger injured when hit by car in Manchester accident - 0
- Bonners host charity music festival in Portsmouth - 0
- He knows the Memorial Wall, name by name - 0
- NH to host New England governors, Eastern Canadian premiers in Mount Washington - 0
Houston hands Red Sox a loss Saturday
New Hampshire events starting on July 13