Home » News » Public Safety
Safety officials warn: Deep snow can be threat in home fire
WOLFEBORO - The Fire-Rescue Department Chief is asking residents to make sure paths to all doors of their homes and businesses are clear of snow, not just the ones used the most.
"This time of year it's particularly hard sometimes to maintain that extra escape route," said Fire-Rescue Chief Philip "Butch" Morrill, "but it's important to do for several reasons. First, that front door you don't always use in the winter may be your best escape route in the event of a fire. It may also be the best access and exit route for a stretcher in case of a medical emergency."
Property owners are asked to pay close attention to the amount of snow and ice accumulated on roofs of homes, businesses and barns after the recent heavy snows, with more snow today.
Morrill asks residents to pay attention to the weight that has built up on the roof and consider whether it should be removed. One last request from fire officials: display the correct street/house numbers on your home or building.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Investigators release sketch of man who may have driven Abigail away - 1
- Supporters ask for patience in Abby Hernandez case while authorities sort it all out - 9
- Package found at Manchester federal building was harmless - 0
- Tractor-trailer carrying glass rolls over at I-93-Route 101 interchange in Manchester - 0
- Contact lost with Air Algerie plane carrying 116 people from Burkina Faso - 0
- New Ipswich man dies in motorcycle, truck collision - 0
- Two hurt in crash on Everett Turnpike involving tractor-trailer - 0
- Lightning likely cause of Manchester apartment building fire - 0
- Motorcyclist seriously injured in Jaffrey crash - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Another View -- Jayne Millerick: Dems scaring women by misleading them on contraception - 0
- Basket case: Saga of a supermarket - 1
- Patriots Notebook: Ongoing renovations in Foxborough - 0
- Three years later, investigation continues into homicide of Celina Cass - 0
- Nashua celebration in the works for Medal of Honor recipient - 0
- Fisher Cats down Senators in road trip opener - 0
- No water for Manchester sewer bill scofflaws? - 0
- New Boston mulch processing plant plans under review - 0
- Manchester Crimewatch: Defense attorney seeks home confinement for drug addict - 0
Market Basket walkout a future case study
UPDATED: Thousands of Market Basket employees rally; company board issues statement on purchase offer, reaffirms support for new CEOs
Basket case: Saga of a supermarket
Mother says Abigail in 'deteriorated' health