Home » News » Public Safety
Safety officials warn: Deep snow can be threat in home fire
WOLFEBORO - The Fire-Rescue Department Chief is asking residents to make sure paths to all doors of their homes and businesses are clear of snow, not just the ones used the most.
"This time of year it's particularly hard sometimes to maintain that extra escape route," said Fire-Rescue Chief Philip "Butch" Morrill, "but it's important to do for several reasons. First, that front door you don't always use in the winter may be your best escape route in the event of a fire. It may also be the best access and exit route for a stretcher in case of a medical emergency."
Property owners are asked to pay close attention to the amount of snow and ice accumulated on roofs of homes, businesses and barns after the recent heavy snows, with more snow today.
Morrill asks residents to pay attention to the weight that has built up on the roof and consider whether it should be removed. One last request from fire officials: display the correct street/house numbers on your home or building.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Driving lesson turns into car accident in Laconia - 0
- Fire destroys vacant Berlin building - 0
- NY man stable after destroying classic Porsche 911 in Route 16 wreck - 3
- Investigators seek cause of Conn. train crash - 0
- Berlin man dies while kayaking - 0
- Man seriously hurt in North Country crash of 1967 Porsche - 0
- Teen hurt in Amherst boating crash - 0
- Ceremony for fallen police officers honors service and sacrifice - 2
- Amtrak suspends New York-Boston service after two trains collide in Conn.; up to 60 hurt - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Portsmouth woman faces up to life in prison in fatal overdose - 0
- Mass. sex offender indicted for sex assault on child at Plaistow Walmart - 0
- Home care worker indicted for kidnapping, sexual assault of male client - 0
- Police say house guest helped himself to credit card - 0
- Police say women were smoking crack with 2-year-old in car - 0
- Tools, copper piping stolen from construction trailers in Manchester - 0
- Firefighters say casino revenue needed for 'public safety' - 8
- Two sustained minor injuries in Rochester crash Sunday - 0
- Manchester alderman urges review of police phone use - 14
Town may have to fix grave error
UNH hires firm to redesign one of its logos
Disengaged: Obama's lousy excuse
Chechen decries Boston attack