Home » News » Public Safety
Safety officials warn: Deep snow can be threat in home fire
WOLFEBORO - The Fire-Rescue Department Chief is asking residents to make sure paths to all doors of their homes and businesses are clear of snow, not just the ones used the most.
"This time of year it's particularly hard sometimes to maintain that extra escape route," said Fire-Rescue Chief Philip "Butch" Morrill, "but it's important to do for several reasons. First, that front door you don't always use in the winter may be your best escape route in the event of a fire. It may also be the best access and exit route for a stretcher in case of a medical emergency."
Property owners are asked to pay close attention to the amount of snow and ice accumulated on roofs of homes, businesses and barns after the recent heavy snows, with more snow today.
Morrill asks residents to pay attention to the weight that has built up on the roof and consider whether it should be removed. One last request from fire officials: display the correct street/house numbers on your home or building.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Nashua bomb squad deployed, people evacuated after fireworks explosion - 0
- Driver trapped by live wires after early morning crash in Bow - 0
- DWI license revocations - 0
- Homeless man who saved woman from river: 'I don't consider myself a hero' - 9
- Nashua police department adds 8 new members - 1
- Talk of 'wings on pigs' threats on police tests U.S. speech rights - 0
- Brentwood police look to increase coverage after officer's death in May - 4
- Londonderry schools placed on lockdown after soldier's unplanned visit to high school causes alarm - 45
- Police investigate report of shots fired - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- 2014 top 10 list of wage and hour - 0
- Thumbs-up for Ebert's winner - 0
- It's Central, Merrimack - 0
- Goal: Stay healthy - 0
- Year in review: A look back at NH's top stories - 0
- Indecent proposition from New London chief was 'chilling' says victim - 0
- Details of Reams inquiry released - 0
- New Hampshire police part of funeral for slain NYC officer - 0
- Workers' rally to bring back Artie T. captured public's heart - 0
Thoughts as we move from one year to another
Bow goes to shootout to defeat Concord
Merrimack teen allegedly held girl captive