Home » News » Public Safety
Safety officials warn: Deep snow can be threat in home fire
WOLFEBORO - The Fire-Rescue Department Chief is asking residents to make sure paths to all doors of their homes and businesses are clear of snow, not just the ones used the most.
"This time of year it's particularly hard sometimes to maintain that extra escape route," said Fire-Rescue Chief Philip "Butch" Morrill, "but it's important to do for several reasons. First, that front door you don't always use in the winter may be your best escape route in the event of a fire. It may also be the best access and exit route for a stretcher in case of a medical emergency."
Property owners are asked to pay close attention to the amount of snow and ice accumulated on roofs of homes, businesses and barns after the recent heavy snows, with more snow today.
Morrill asks residents to pay attention to the weight that has built up on the roof and consider whether it should be removed. One last request from fire officials: display the correct street/house numbers on your home or building.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Injured dirt bike rider in ICU - 0
- Woman who jumped in front of Amtrak train identified - 0
- Busy day for White Mountain National Forest rescuers - 0
- Franklin convenience store damaged by fire - 0
- Derry firefighters commended; fire investigation continues - 0
- Deadly crash driver: 'I was distracted' - 0
- Tactical team takes man, 71, into custody - 0
- Hudson rider misses jump, crashes bike - 0
- Injured hiker carried to safety off Mount Israel in Sandwich - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Review of West High intruder case to be behind closed doors - 0
- Another View -- Daniel Barrick: Manchester's schools face some serious challenges - 0
- Racism in Lincoln? Looks more like ignorance - 0
- Representing whom? Jeanne Shaheen, leftist icon - 0
- Chiefly, Pats are horrible in Monday night blowout in K.C. - 0
- NHIAA Roundup: Double-overtime goal sends Goffstown past John Stark in boys' soccer - 0
- UNH gridders jump one spot in national polls - 0
- Dave D'Onofrio's Sox Beat: Offseason needs aplenty - 0
- NHIAA Field Hockey: Merrill's hat trick lifts Winnacunnet - 0
Dredging planned for Milford's Osgood Pond
UNH gridders jump one spot in national polls
Racism in Lincoln? Looks more like ignorance
Hillary Clinton to join Shaheen fundraiser