Home » News » Public Safety
Safety officials warn: Deep snow can be threat in home fire
WOLFEBORO - The Fire-Rescue Department Chief is asking residents to make sure paths to all doors of their homes and businesses are clear of snow, not just the ones used the most.
"This time of year it's particularly hard sometimes to maintain that extra escape route," said Fire-Rescue Chief Philip "Butch" Morrill, "but it's important to do for several reasons. First, that front door you don't always use in the winter may be your best escape route in the event of a fire. It may also be the best access and exit route for a stretcher in case of a medical emergency."
Property owners are asked to pay close attention to the amount of snow and ice accumulated on roofs of homes, businesses and barns after the recent heavy snows, with more snow today.
Morrill asks residents to pay attention to the weight that has built up on the roof and consider whether it should be removed. One last request from fire officials: display the correct street/house numbers on your home or building.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Powerboat hits canoe on Winnipesaukee - 2
- Police search for driver in Hollis hit-and-run - 1
- Canoe, powerboat collide on Lake Winnipesaukee - 0
- Brothers escape being hit by circling boat - 1
- Cornish truck driver charged in fatal Merrimack crash - 2
- Truck flips on I-93 at Exit 4 on-ramp in Londonderry - 0
- Salem family ldisplaced by house fire - 0
- Mother says Abigail in 'deteriorated' health - 17
- Investigators release sketch of man who may have driven Abigail away - 15
READER COMMENTS: 0
- E-cigarettes find a market in NH - 0
- Real estate transfer tax proposal pulled off table - 0
- Protesting information: Picket sign o' the times - 0
- Another View -- Mike Biundo: Where is Shaheen's gas price outrage now? - 2
- Seabrook's message: No one above the law here - 1
- Joe McQuaid's Publisher's Notebook: A humbling — and inspiring — event - 0
- Developer says proposed LNG plant in Groveton 'on hold' - 2
- Motivation Matters: 'Giving 110 percent' says more than you think - 0
- Know the Law: Do I need a prenup? - 0
Win tickets to see Cher's D2K Tour
E-cigarettes find a market in NH
Protesting workers nix Market Basket amnesty
Faith and freedom; a near-martyr comes to NH