Pembroke couple files suit against Manchester diocese
The suit filed by James and Kimberly Timbas against the diocese and St. John Regional School in Concord also claims the Rev. George A. Desjardins touched the boy without consent. The child is a student at the school. Manchester attorney Peter E. Hutchins represents the plaintiffs in the suit filed in Hillsborough County Superior Court in Manchester.
Kevin Donovan, director of communications for the Diocese of Manchester, said the diocese disputes the allegations.
"The diocese's Code of Ministerial Conduct and its policy for the Protection of Children and Young People detail how the diocese responds to allegations of sexual misconduct and allegations of such misconduct are taken very seriously," he said in an email.
The complaint, made by James Timbas to the school's principal, was investigated "and clearly did not amount to an allegation of sexual abuse."
"The 'touching' described in the complaint was actually a handshake offered by the priest publicly after a Mass," Donovan said. "We will respond to the complaint in court and expect a speedy resolution. In the meantime, our thoughts and prayers are with the student, his family, the accused priest, and all the students, faculty and administration of the school. The diocese and the school will continue to provide the student with a supportive school environment."
READER COMMENTS: 2
- Another View -- Karlyn Borysenko: Workplace bullying is a serious problem, governor - 0
- Another View -- Fred Hiatt: Disengage from the world, and this is what happens - 1
- David Harsanyi: Are teachers really underpaid? - 10
- Jonah Goldberg: The U.N. club needs higher standards - 0
- Another View -- Mike Biundo: Where is Shaheen's gas price outrage now? - 20
- Deroy Murdock: What if Gaza were San Diego instead? - 1
- Another View -- Jayne Millerick: Dems scaring women by misleading them on contraception - 55
- Another View -- Charles Lane: Obamacare and the Constitution - 22
- John Stossel: Why are we giving the police so much power? - 1
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Charles M. Arlinghaus: Taxation without representation again? - 2
- Distracted legislating: Our baseless cellphone ban - 6
- Workplace abuse: Governor gets one right - 0
- Red Sox pull Lester from Wednesday start amid trade rumors - 0
- Accused Abby kidnapper Kibby had past minor brushes with police - 0
- Police say youths at New Boston underage drinking party resisted arrest - 5
- Man hospitalized following Rochester shooting; suspect still at large - 0
- Muskrats, Swamp Bats split twinbill - 0
- Jays' Stroman stymies Red Sox - 0
Market Basket community waits and watches
Win tickets to see ZZ Top
Win tickets to see the Pretty Reckless
Abby's alleged kidnapper held on $1M bail
Dover man sought in Rochester shooting
Supporters are now 'Abby Strong'
Canobie Lake Park shuts down popular ride