Pembroke couple files suit against Manchester diocese
The suit filed by James and Kimberly Timbas against the diocese and St. John Regional School in Concord also claims the Rev. George A. Desjardins touched the boy without consent. The child is a student at the school. Manchester attorney Peter E. Hutchins represents the plaintiffs in the suit filed in Hillsborough County Superior Court in Manchester.
Kevin Donovan, director of communications for the Diocese of Manchester, said the diocese disputes the allegations.
"The diocese's Code of Ministerial Conduct and its policy for the Protection of Children and Young People detail how the diocese responds to allegations of sexual misconduct and allegations of such misconduct are taken very seriously," he said in an email.
The complaint, made by James Timbas to the school's principal, was investigated "and clearly did not amount to an allegation of sexual abuse."
"The 'touching' described in the complaint was actually a handshake offered by the priest publicly after a Mass," Donovan said. "We will respond to the complaint in court and expect a speedy resolution. In the meantime, our thoughts and prayers are with the student, his family, the accused priest, and all the students, faculty and administration of the school. The diocese and the school will continue to provide the student with a supportive school environment."
READER COMMENTS: 1
- Wheeler in Dist. 5: A GOP fighter for the little guy - 3
- GOP for legal pot? Hemignway's high help - 12
- Obama's indecision: In NH, only Ayotte urges action - 43
- Concealed controversy: Our 'Mother, may I' gun policy - 41
- Innis in the 1st: A strong choice for Congress - 11
- Obama waits: A terror threat grows - 41
- For U.S. Senate, Scott Brown best NH candidate come November - 72
- Race and policing: America has a problem - 0
- Strength in faith: Gaining it from Jim Foley's family - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Tom Herzig's Trackside: Patnode poised to win NH Weekly Series crown - 0
- NHIAA Boys' Soccer Preview: Talent to boot - 0
- Last call at home for Fisher Cats tonight - 0
- Jessica Goldman was on the move - 0
- Band camp gets Memorial musicians in rhythm a week early - 1
- Drew Cline: Small sleights of hand in Republican primaries around NH - 0
- Where is Shaheen? Hiding from you - 6
- Scott and Genevieve Kelley - 0
- Dan Tuohy's Granite Status: Shaheen takes on illegal immigration - 0
Where is Shaheen? Hiding from you
Reports: Market Basket doomsday plan would shutter 61 of 71 stores if deal not struck soon
GOP for legal pot? Hemignway's high help