Pembroke couple files suit against Manchester diocese
The suit filed by James and Kimberly Timbas against the diocese and St. John Regional School in Concord also claims the Rev. George A. Desjardins touched the boy without consent. The child is a student at the school. Manchester attorney Peter E. Hutchins represents the plaintiffs in the suit filed in Hillsborough County Superior Court in Manchester.
Kevin Donovan, director of communications for the Diocese of Manchester, said the diocese disputes the allegations.
"The diocese's Code of Ministerial Conduct and its policy for the Protection of Children and Young People detail how the diocese responds to allegations of sexual misconduct and allegations of such misconduct are taken very seriously," he said in an email.
The complaint, made by James Timbas to the school's principal, was investigated "and clearly did not amount to an allegation of sexual abuse."
"The 'touching' described in the complaint was actually a handshake offered by the priest publicly after a Mass," Donovan said. "We will respond to the complaint in court and expect a speedy resolution. In the meantime, our thoughts and prayers are with the student, his family, the accused priest, and all the students, faculty and administration of the school. The diocese and the school will continue to provide the student with a supportive school environment."
READER COMMENTS: 7
- IT overload: Bureaucracy on bureaucracy - 1
- Taxes and spending: Washington vs. NH - 12
- Texting while stopped: Banning safe behavior - 5
- Lives not lost: As long as we remember - 0
- Slammed: A Seabrook officer indicted - 9
- Abuse in school: A city teacher and a late report - 2
- Computerized firearms: Holder's bad gun idea - 3
- Republican diversity: NH welcomes political ideas - 8
- Reams vs. Foster: A power grab struck down - 4
READER COMMENTS: 0
- NH Legal Perspective -- Health care decision making: Pending legislation fills gap - 0
- GoShopNH offers workshop to NH artisans on selling their products online - 0
- Christopher Thompson's Closing the Deal: Be a student of your profession - 0
- NHIAA Boys' Lacrosse: Bedford proving Division I-worthy - 0
- NHIAA Baseball: Londonderry's Corey escapes seventh-inning jam in win - 0
- Pope presides at Vatican Mass leading Catholics into Easter - 0
- Top-ranked B's seek to tie up series - 0
- Bottoms up for Red Sox in win over Orioles - 0
- Struggling Fisher Cats defeated again - 0
Man electrocuted at Keene brush fire