Alton School Board member tries to make his point with a knife
A portion of the taped meeting during which board member Stephen Miller held up a large knife during a discussion on the district's policy on weapons is posted in a YouTube video called "Knife at Public Meeting - Alton, NH." Videos of school board and other public meetings in Alton are also routinely available on YouTube.
At the Feb. 21 meeting, Miller said he opposed non-students carrying a knife on school grounds. Then, holding up a large knife, said, "This is essentially legal," and he said there are no laws against carrying a knife, any knife, in Florida.
School board chairman Jeff St. Cyr said the current school board weapon policy is the same as in the 1990s, and that the knife should be folded. He then asked Miller to put the knife away.
"Please keep your knife in your pocket because we don't need knives at a school board meeting," said St. Cyr.
"Does that offend you? It should offend you," said Miller.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Parents, student aid agencies seeking answers after court's scholarship ruling - 0
- Rochester parents called to court to answer for truant children - 5
- Exeter High teachers' resignations announced at meeting - 0
- Agencies to offer summer food service to Derry children in need - 0
- Derry school district continues to push its high-achieving students - 0
- Keene State professor eager to explore plant’s mysteries - 0
- Windham to reconsider dodgeball ban - 0
- Hooksett students taken to nearby school after gas leak - 0
- Londonderry students who haven't had whooping cough vaccine asked to stay home - 0
READER COMMENTS: 23
- Hellickson, Rays handcuff Red Sox - 0
- Celtics' Rivers, Ainge meet to clear air - 0
- Fisher Cats drop second straight - 0
- Troubles mount for Patriots' Hernandez - 0
- Central High student says he was knocked unconscious; police investigate racial motive - 0
- New Hampshire Religion News in Brief - 0
- Police investigate cause of injuries to Seabrook family - 0
- Queen City community to celebrate U.N. World Refugee Day today - 0
- Bethlehem Hebrew Congregation’s 93rd season has something for everyone - 0
Manipulating NH: Bloomberg and the terrorist
Troubles mount for Patriots' Hernandez
Tax credit math: Who owns your money?
Drones and privacy: Debate just taking off
- Should schools do more to police food and beverages consumed at school?
- Total Votes: 112