Alton School Board member tries to make his point with a knife
A portion of the taped meeting during which board member Stephen Miller held up a large knife during a discussion on the district's policy on weapons is posted in a YouTube video called "Knife at Public Meeting - Alton, NH." Videos of school board and other public meetings in Alton are also routinely available on YouTube.
At the Feb. 21 meeting, Miller said he opposed non-students carrying a knife on school grounds. Then, holding up a large knife, said, "This is essentially legal," and he said there are no laws against carrying a knife, any knife, in Florida.
School board chairman Jeff St. Cyr said the current school board weapon policy is the same as in the 1990s, and that the knife should be folded. He then asked Miller to put the knife away.
"Please keep your knife in your pocket because we don't need knives at a school board meeting," said St. Cyr.
"Does that offend you? It should offend you," said Miller.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Nashua fourth-graders show significant gains in science - 0
- UNH math professor earns prestigious MacArthur Fellowship - 0
- School emergency notification system to launch in Londonderry - 0
- New Nashua computer curriculum stresses exam, lifetime skills - 0
- Manchester teachers to hold 2nd contract vote following voting hours complaints - 26
- Alton educator selected as NH Teacher of the Year - 0
- USNH: Restore funding and we'll freeze tuition - 5
- Manchester, Hooksett will resume schools conversation - 2
- River Valley Community College planning for new president's inauguration - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Scots spurn independence, vote to stay in the United Kingdom - 0
- Roger Brown's First and 10: Answers forthcoming - 0
- NHMS chief Gappens is on board with the Chase changes - 0
- Another View -- Ben Rose: How NH's John Stark helped defeat the British at Saratoga - 1
- Celebrating Claremont: A 250th birthday party - 0
- Trashed lunches: Brownies, broccoli and bucks - 7
- Hampstead's Suess ready for Whelen Modified race - 0
- College Football: Big Green kick off season vs. Cent. Connecticut - 0
- Son says shooting of mom during DEA raid was a mistake - 15
Supporters eager for Hillary's return to NH
Manchester family heartbroken after finding lost kitten was adopted from shelter, family refuses to return it