Home » News » Public Safety
Head-on crash kills Wakefield woman, seriously injures man
Emergency personnel responded at 1:45 p.m. after a northbound 2004 Ford Taurus driven by Monique Smith, 76, of Main Street, Union - a village in the town of Wakefield - collided with a southbound 204 Chevy pickup driven by Richard Stuart, 50, also of Main Street, Union, on Route 125, according to Police Chief Mark McGowan.
Firefighters extricated Smith, who was declared dead at the scene by members of the N.H. Medical Examiner's office, while ambulance crews transported Stuart to Frisbie Memorial Hospital in Rochester for serious injuries, McGowan said.
McGowan said Route 125 was completely closed for hours, but area police rerouted traffic along Route 16 as rescue personnel and investigators worked at the scene.
"It's easier that way - especially with the weather and with people in the road," McGowan said.
Fire Chief Nick Marique previously said Route 125 was re-opened around 6 p.m.
McGowan said investigators have not determined what caused the crash, but police are looking into a variety of factors, including whether the weather, speed, alcohol, drugs or distracted driving were involved. He said members of the Strafford County Regional Traffic Accident Reconstruction Team, which responded to the scene, are working with Milton police. He added the ongoing investigation will take some time.
Members of Farmington, Middleton, Rochester, Wakefield and N.H. State Police assisted local officers with the investigation and to help with traffic. Wakefield firefighters and paramedics from Frisbie Memorial Hospital also responded to the scene.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Tractor-trailer pulls down poles, wires, closing part of Route 28 in Epsom - 0
- Commission honors seven for contributions to state firefighter training - 0
- Lost hikers found safe in Gilsum - 1
- Woman thrown from horse, injured - 0
- Stove ash blamed for Manchester garage fire - 0
- Derry Battalion Chief calls firefighter son a 'hero' for rescuing two boys from Hood Pond - 1
- Epsom trucker, 65, killed in I-93 crash in Salem - 0
- Two taken to hospital after suffering burns in Wolfeboro house fire - 0
- Crews on scene of accident on I-93 in Salem - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Dave D'Onofrio's Patriots Notebook: It took a while, but now they're on Wright track - 0
- Newmarket blacksmith has forged a career shaping the elementsof steel - 0
- Kathy Sullivan: We need to rethink some of our county government positions - 0
- Pipes and plans: A chance to show up Mass. - 0
- H.S. Football Power Poll: No doubt - Astros finish on top - 0
- College Hockey: Wildcats home to RPI on Tuesday night - 0
- Manchester school board OK's contract for driver’s ed program - 0
- Unrest erupts after grand jury decides against charges in Ferguson, Mo., shooting - 0
- Malkin, Crosby foil Bruins in overtime - 0
Clinton has 'historic' lead in poll
Sources say former White House Chief of Staff Andy Card to be tapped as Franklin Pierce president
Randy Johnson, Pedro, Smoltz lead HOF ballot
Pipes and plans: A chance to show up Mass.