Home » News » Public Safety
Head-on crash kills Wakefield woman, seriously injures man
Emergency personnel responded at 1:45 p.m. after a northbound 2004 Ford Taurus driven by Monique Smith, 76, of Main Street, Union - a village in the town of Wakefield - collided with a southbound 204 Chevy pickup driven by Richard Stuart, 50, also of Main Street, Union, on Route 125, according to Police Chief Mark McGowan.
Firefighters extricated Smith, who was declared dead at the scene by members of the N.H. Medical Examiner's office, while ambulance crews transported Stuart to Frisbie Memorial Hospital in Rochester for serious injuries, McGowan said.
McGowan said Route 125 was completely closed for hours, but area police rerouted traffic along Route 16 as rescue personnel and investigators worked at the scene.
"It's easier that way - especially with the weather and with people in the road," McGowan said.
Fire Chief Nick Marique previously said Route 125 was re-opened around 6 p.m.
McGowan said investigators have not determined what caused the crash, but police are looking into a variety of factors, including whether the weather, speed, alcohol, drugs or distracted driving were involved. He said members of the Strafford County Regional Traffic Accident Reconstruction Team, which responded to the scene, are working with Milton police. He added the ongoing investigation will take some time.
Members of Farmington, Middleton, Rochester, Wakefield and N.H. State Police assisted local officers with the investigation and to help with traffic. Wakefield firefighters and paramedics from Frisbie Memorial Hospital also responded to the scene.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Injured dirt bike rider in ICU - 0
- Woman who jumped in front of Amtrak train identified - 0
- Busy day for White Mountain National Forest rescuers - 0
- Franklin convenience store damaged by fire - 0
- Derry firefighters commended; fire investigation continues - 0
- Deadly crash driver: 'I was distracted' - 0
- Tactical team takes man, 71, into custody - 0
- Hudson rider misses jump, crashes bike - 0
- Injured hiker carried to safety off Mount Israel in Sandwich - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Review of West High intruder case to be behind closed doors - 0
- Another View -- Daniel Barrick: Manchester's schools face some serious challenges - 0
- Racism in Lincoln? Looks more like ignorance - 0
- Representing whom? Jeanne Shaheen, leftist icon - 0
- Chiefly, Pats are horrible in Monday night blowout in K.C. - 0
- NHIAA Roundup: Double-overtime goal sends Goffstown past John Stark in boys' soccer - 0
- UNH gridders jump one spot in national polls - 0
- Dave D'Onofrio's Sox Beat: Offseason needs aplenty - 0
- NHIAA Field Hockey: Merrill's hat trick lifts Winnacunnet - 0
Dredging planned for Milford's Osgood Pond
UNH gridders jump one spot in national polls
Racism in Lincoln? Looks more like ignorance