Home » News » Public Safety
Head-on crash kills Wakefield woman, seriously injures man
Updated: Crash kills one on Route 125 in Milton
Emergency personnel responded at 1:45 p.m. after a northbound 2004 Ford Taurus driven by Monique Smith, 76, of Main Street, Union - a village in the town of Wakefield - collided with a southbound 204 Chevy pickup driven by Richard Stuart, 50, also of Main Street, Union, on Route 125, according to Police Chief Mark McGowan.
Firefighters extricated Smith, who was declared dead at the scene by members of the N.H. Medical Examiner's office, while ambulance crews transported Stuart to Frisbie Memorial Hospital in Rochester for serious injuries, McGowan said.
McGowan said Route 125 was completely closed for hours, but area police rerouted traffic along Route 16 as rescue personnel and investigators worked at the scene.
"It's easier that way - especially with the weather and with people in the road," McGowan said.
Fire Chief Nick Marique previously said Route 125 was re-opened around 6 p.m.
McGowan said investigators have not determined what caused the crash, but police are looking into a variety of factors, including whether the weather, speed, alcohol, drugs or distracted driving were involved. He said members of the Strafford County Regional Traffic Accident Reconstruction Team, which responded to the scene, are working with Milton police. He added the ongoing investigation will take some time.
Members of Farmington, Middleton, Rochester, Wakefield and N.H. State Police assisted local officers with the investigation and to help with traffic. Wakefield firefighters and paramedics from Frisbie Memorial Hospital also responded to the scene.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- NY man stable after destroying classic Porsche 911 in Route 16 wreck - 1
- Investigators seek cause of Conn. train crash - 0
- Berlin man dies while kayaking - 0
- Man seriously hurt in North Country crash of 1967 Porsche - 0
- Teen hurt in Amherst boating crash - 0
- Ceremony for fallen police officers honors service and sacrifice - 2
- Amtrak suspends New York-Boston service after two trains collide in Conn.; up to 60 hurt - 0
- Two hurt in Epping crash involving bus, five other vehicles - 0
- New Boston man killed in fiery Mont Vernon crash - 0
READER COMMENTS: 1
- Updated: Man fatally shot on Manchester street; neighbors shocked - 3
- Nashua mayor to recommend Bennett for corporation counsel - 0
- Claremont group disputes incinerator plant's permit - 0
- Goffstown artisan gives new face to Wolfeboro tower - 0
- Katie McQuaid's Scene in Manchester: Kiwanis and the kids - 0
- Town may have to fix grave error - 0
- Gate City Musings: Mayor just keeps on spending - 0
- Nashua set to begin budget review - 0
- Manchester 'homeless meter' program seeks to deter panhandling - 0
Volunteer drivers needed in Windham
UNH hires firm to redesign one of its logos
Disengaged: Obama's lousy excuse
Chechen decries Boston attack
43 killers on lifetime parole - but where?