Home » News » Public Safety
Hanover police say chief recovering from stroke
"A rapid response by New London Fire Department and a very successful early intervention by DHMC staff have resulted in an excellent prognosis for Chief Giaccone," the department said in a news release.
Giaccone was transferred Wednesday from Dartmouth-Hitchcock Medical Center in Lebanon to the Spaulding Rehabilitation Hospital in Boston.
Capt. Francis Moran is serving as acting police chief.
Giaccone, 65, has been police chief since 1994 and with the department for 40 years, Moran said.
It's too soon to know if Giaccone will be able to return to duty, Moran said, but "his will is to do that. It depends on his recovery."
It is also what his department hopes for, he said.
"He's a beloved chief. He's a friend. We're all rallying to run the department in his absence and we're all hoping he makes a full recovery," Moran said.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- ‘Coffee with a Cop’ promotes police, community relations - 0
- Merrimack fire quickly doused - 0
- UPDATED: One seriously hurt, 12 homeless after early morning Manchester fire - 0
- Snowmobiler injured while riding on Thornton golf course - 1
- Dartmouth under fire for response to incidents of rape on campus - 1
- NH hospital personnel to train for disasters - 0
- Snowmobiler dies; 4th fatality of season - 0
- Driver seriously injured in Londonderry wreck - 0
- Dover snowmobiler dies in Barnstead crash - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Manchester police search for bank robber - 0
- Police investigating possible stabbing of man, 22, on Lake Avenue - 0
- As city health costs soar, ‘wellness’ post pushed in Manchester - 8
- Katie McQuaid's Scene in Manchester: Parents share what 'CJ' taught them - 0
- Gilford High junior surprised by Francis Wayland Parker honor - 0
- Police bill disputed by Stewartstown and Colebrook ends up in court - 0
- Arts-based charter high school in Derry begins accepting applications - 0
- Troy voters accept community center donation - 0
- Voters support Bow School District articles - 0
License revocations for DWI announced
Police at scene of Center Ossipee shooting
New to Nottingham, fire victims plan to stay
Litchfield man found stabbed
Scott Brown's latest step stirs the pot
Hooksett's choices: Leave them to parents