Home » News » Public Safety
Hanover police say chief recovering from stroke
"A rapid response by New London Fire Department and a very successful early intervention by DHMC staff have resulted in an excellent prognosis for Chief Giaccone," the department said in a news release.
Giaccone was transferred Wednesday from Dartmouth-Hitchcock Medical Center in Lebanon to the Spaulding Rehabilitation Hospital in Boston.
Capt. Francis Moran is serving as acting police chief.
Giaccone, 65, has been police chief since 1994 and with the department for 40 years, Moran said.
It's too soon to know if Giaccone will be able to return to duty, Moran said, but "his will is to do that. It depends on his recovery."
It is also what his department hopes for, he said.
"He's a beloved chief. He's a friend. We're all rallying to run the department in his absence and we're all hoping he makes a full recovery," Moran said.
READER COMMENTS: 2
- Dozens displaced by Manchester apartment building fire - 3
- Ossipee woman killed in late-night Moultonborough crash - 1
- Danville couple struggling to get back on feet after explosion - 2
- Farmington school evacuated for bomb threat; police say kids are safe - 0
- Claremont elementary school to get safer sidewalks - 0
- Fire leaves Derry family of four homeless - 0
- Homeless man rescues woman who jumped from Granite Street Bridge - 2
- Propane driver saved from waist-deep mud - 0
- Update: Men target practicing face felonies after report of shots fired in Hooksett - 5
READER COMMENTS: 0
- NHIAA Roundup: Martin, Pinkerton top Salem in tournament - 0
- Inmate reported missing from Concord transitional unit - 0
- College Roundup: SNHU women win - 0
- Merrimack's Schaller scores first NHL goal, but B's get win - 0
- For Rex Ryan, another close loss to Pats - 0
- Two Lee police officers honored at dinner - 0
- NHIAA Weekend Hockey Roundup: Hats off to three school skaters - 0
- NH Busines Newsmakers: Butler named president of Cigna in New England - 0
- Small employers grapple with rising insurance premiums - 0
'Everybody was extremely fortunate'