Home » News » Public Safety
Hanover police say chief recovering from stroke
"A rapid response by New London Fire Department and a very successful early intervention by DHMC staff have resulted in an excellent prognosis for Chief Giaccone," the department said in a news release.
Giaccone was transferred Wednesday from Dartmouth-Hitchcock Medical Center in Lebanon to the Spaulding Rehabilitation Hospital in Boston.
Capt. Francis Moran is serving as acting police chief.
Giaccone, 65, has been police chief since 1994 and with the department for 40 years, Moran said.
It's too soon to know if Giaccone will be able to return to duty, Moran said, but "his will is to do that. It depends on his recovery."
It is also what his department hopes for, he said.
"He's a beloved chief. He's a friend. We're all rallying to run the department in his absence and we're all hoping he makes a full recovery," Moran said.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Londonderry family fair returns but child safety is still the theme - 0
- Girl, grandmother escape fire in Rochester home with no detectors - 0
- Motorcyclist in serious condition after crash in Rochester - 0
- Manchester police officers to be honored for work in unresolved West Side stabbing death - 5
- Authorities say smoking ignited oxygen in Derry apartment building fire - 1
- Motorcyclist flown to Maine hospital following crash on Route 125 - 0
- Londonderry police to open station to residents - 0
- Affair, threats alleged in Weare police chief investigation - 11
- Cause of 3-alarm Derry fire remains under investigation - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Manchester family heartbroken after finding lost kitten was adopted from shelter, family refuses to return it - 0
- Body found under Manchester bridge identified as local woman - 0
- Chester deputy fire chief jailed for allegedly violating restraining order - 0
- Manchester police release photos of men they believe robbed mother, daughters at local Holiday Inn - 0
- Scots spurn independence, vote to stay in the United Kingdom - 1
- Roger Brown's First and 10: Answers forthcoming - 0
- NHMS chief Gappens is on board with the Chase changes - 0
- Another View -- Ben Rose: How NH's John Stark helped defeat the British at Saratoga - 1
- Celebrating Claremont: A 250th birthday party - 0
Mark Hayward's City Matters: Dean Kamen is a genius inventor, and he's pretty good at oratory, too
Casino gambles: Hopes dashed all over
Ayotte pushes bill to combat 'spice'