Home » News » Public Safety
Police identify Wakefield woman killed in Milton Route 125 crash
Police, firefighters and emergency personnel responded at 1:45 p.m. after a northbound 2004 Ford Taurus driven by Monique Smith, 76, of Main Street, Union - a village in the town of Wakefield - collided with a southbound 2004 Chevrolet pickup driven by Richard Stuart, 50, also of Main Street, Union, on Route 125, according to Police Chief Mark McGowan.
Firefighters extricated Smith, who was declared dead at the scene by members of the N.H. Medical Examiner's office, while ambulance crews transported Stuart to Frisbie Memorial Hospital in Rochester for serious injuries.
McGowan said Route 125 was completely closed for hours, but area police rerouted traffic along Route 16 as rescue personnel and investigators worked at the scene.
"It's easier that way - especially with the weather and with people in the road," McGowan said.
Fire Chief Nick Marique said Route 125 was re-opened around 6 p.m.
McGowan said investigators have not determined what caused the crash, but police are looking into a variety of factors. He said members of the Strafford County Regional Traffic Accident Reconstruction Team, which responded to the scene, are working with Milton police. He said the ongoing investigation will take some time.
Members of Farmington, Middleton, Rochester, Wakefield and N.H. State Police assisted local officers with the investigation and traffic. Wakefield firefighters and paramedics from Frisbie Memorial Hospital also responded to the scene.
READER COMMENTS: 4
- Weare Deputy Chief Sean Kelly set to manage Weare Police Department - 0
- Lizard in food sends 300 schoolchildren to hospital - 0
- Body found under Manchester bridge identified as local woman - 0
- Communications giant chips in for generator for Derry FD - 0
- Londonderry family fair returns but child safety is still the theme - 0
- Girl, grandmother escape fire in Rochester home with no detectors - 0
- Motorcyclist in serious condition after crash in Rochester - 0
- Manchester police officers to be honored for work in unresolved West Side stabbing death - 5
- Authorities say smoking ignited oxygen in Derry apartment building fire - 1
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Vailas rallies UNH football to 29-26 win over Richmond - 1
- Dave D'Onofrio's Patriots Notebook: Raiders should be tucked away early - 0
- St. Anselm football wins home opener, goes to 3-0 - 0
- SNHU golfer Nutter earns weekly honor - 0
- Dover's Helliwell wins ACT Invitational - 0
- Concord, Pinkerton, Coe-Brown runners win - 0
- Nashua South gets on track by beating Merrimack - 0
- Pinkerton stuffs Salem late, holds on - 0
- Dartmouth football wins opener over Central Conn., 35-25 - 0
NH's future: Dean Kamen highlights a problem