Home » News » Public Safety
Police identify Wakefield woman killed in Milton Route 125 crash
Police, firefighters and emergency personnel responded at 1:45 p.m. after a northbound 2004 Ford Taurus driven by Monique Smith, 76, of Main Street, Union - a village in the town of Wakefield - collided with a southbound 2004 Chevrolet pickup driven by Richard Stuart, 50, also of Main Street, Union, on Route 125, according to Police Chief Mark McGowan.
Firefighters extricated Smith, who was declared dead at the scene by members of the N.H. Medical Examiner's office, while ambulance crews transported Stuart to Frisbie Memorial Hospital in Rochester for serious injuries.
McGowan said Route 125 was completely closed for hours, but area police rerouted traffic along Route 16 as rescue personnel and investigators worked at the scene.
"It's easier that way - especially with the weather and with people in the road," McGowan said.
Fire Chief Nick Marique said Route 125 was re-opened around 6 p.m.
McGowan said investigators have not determined what caused the crash, but police are looking into a variety of factors. He said members of the Strafford County Regional Traffic Accident Reconstruction Team, which responded to the scene, are working with Milton police. He said the ongoing investigation will take some time.
Members of Farmington, Middleton, Rochester, Wakefield and N.H. State Police assisted local officers with the investigation and traffic. Wakefield firefighters and paramedics from Frisbie Memorial Hospital also responded to the scene.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Man dies, toddler rescued in Manchester apartment fire - 0
- Motorist struck by car while changing tire on I-93 in Londonderry - 2
- Man, 60, found dead in burned Manchester apartment building; 1-year-old boy rescued - 1
- NH has 1,300 guardrail ends targeted in federal safety suit - 1
- Carignan promoted to deputy police chief in Nashua - 0
- Alderman, chief have heated exchange over police residency requirements - 35
- Winter heating season means homeowners need to be alert - 0
- Teen driver hospitalized following accident in Rindge - 0
- Neighbor won't be charged in shooting death of Rumney chiropractor - 14
READER COMMENTS: 0
- UMass Lowell polls show senate, gubernatorial races still a close call - 0
- Islanders make Boychuk's return a happy one with 3-2 win - 0
- Police say driver in Amherst fatal crash was traveling about 45 mph above limit - 0
- Two new tanks would sink nearly obsolete reservoir - 0
- Swanzey dog rescue seeks funds to rebuild after fire - 0
- Timberlane schools want to be better communicators - 0
- Stocks rally on better-than-expected earnings - 0
- Apple leaves door open for GT Advanced - 0
- 3 NH firms say they are owed $400,000 by GT Advanced - 0
UPDATED: Flood warning issued for southern NH; leaks force visitation to be cancelled at Goffstown women's prison
Debate rule No. 1: Don't crash
Jonee Earthquake band shakes Shaskeen
Fixing Obamacare: Shaheen offers no way out
Blackwater verdict stuns NH dad
Making it up: Shameless state Senate attacks