After failed attempt to hide in trunk, man gets arrested
State police were called to investigate a domestic disturbance at the Hooksett rest area off Interstate 93 North at around 9:30 a.m. Thursday.
According to the on-scene investigation, Ronald Versfelt, 39, had assaulted his girlfriend, who has not been named, on Route 3A while they were driving in her car. The car pulled into the rest area, which is accessible from 3A by an outlet.
Witnesses said that upon pulling into the rest area, Versfelt attempted to restrain the woman as she fled the vehicle. She reached the rest area and called police.
While she was inside, witnesses allege that Versfelt attempted to hide in the trunk of his girlfriend's car. When that failed, he fled the rest area on foot before police arrived.
State police conducted a search for Versfelt, and he was found later in the day by a K-9 unit, walking north in the southbound lane of I-93 in Bow. Police say he was arrested without incident.
Versfelt has been charged with simple assault for the incident, and was found to have also been wanted by the Hooksett Police for a separate assault which occurred earlier that day. Hooksett Police did not return requests for elaboration on the earlier incident.
He was held overnight at the Merrimack County jail in Boscawen, and he remained there as of Friday afternoon, according to prison officials. He appeared for a Concord District Court arraignment via video at 11 a.m. Friday. State police are urging anyone who witnessed the incident to contact trooper Stanley Dombrowski at Troop D in Concord at 271-3333.
Hooksett » Local Events
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Flags should be half-staff Monday, Thursday for holiday - 0
- Two seriously injured in head-on crash in Bedford - 0
- Concert to aid Nashua man with rare disease - 0
- Stacey Cole's Nature Talks: Nongame, Endangered Wildlife Program turns 25 - 0
- North Country open for business - 0
- To get away, they come to NH - 0
- Win tickets to see American Idol Live! - 0
- Bach's Lunch Series Concludes in June with Music of Night and Nature - 0
- Open House at Owl Brook Hunter Education Center on June 1 - 0
Memorial Day services, events around NH
Concert to aid Nashua man with rare disease
Win tickets to see American Idol Live!
Just say it: Our fight is with radical Islam
The casino vote: The House did its duty
Talk of UNH logo change brings out passions