Home » News » Public Safety
Two-alarm fire hits Portsmouth art gallery
Fire Capt. Todd Germain said the fire started about 2 p.m. Friday on a third-floor apartment at the 110 State St. building and was possibly caused by a gas-fired furnace.
Germain said the gallery was able to move most of the art to the neighboring Random Acts of Sweetness store.
"I believe a lot of it was spared," he said.
The building's attic suffered significant damage. The second- and third-floor apartments suffered smoke and water damage, while the art gallery, which is on the first floor, suffered water damage, he said.
The fire displaced "at least" three residents of the two apartments, he said, and the gallery will need renovation before being able to reopen.
The fire was under control by 2:30 p.m. Friday and nobody was injured in the blaze, Germain said. He said a second alarm was sounded because the building is in a tightly packed retail area.
"The guys did an aggressive, interior attack. That, and the fire wall, kept it confined," he said.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Derry police continue to look for missing gun left in courthouse bathroom - 0
- Backyard boulder kills Raymond homeowner - 1
- Merrimack police find car sticking into road, charge man - 0
- Police say impairment and speed not factors in fatal crash in Conway - 0
- Manchester man sustains life-threatening injuries in Bedford crash - 0
- Barrington man, 41, dies in cycle crash - 0
- Bay State man hurt in Ripley Falls fall - 0
- Veteran Arizona officer named Rindge police chief - 3
- NH gun license form must change, critics say - 10
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Reports: Market Basket doomsday plan would shutter 61 of 71 stores if deal not struck soon - 0
- Headlight out leads to pot charges for Merrimack teen and her passenger - 0
- Betsy McCaughey: Congress should take the lead on Iraq - 2
- Another View - Rick Santorum: When Israel needs our help, we have to be there - 0
- Too much FahrvergnŘgen: Nashua man charged with indecent exposure while driving - 2
- Dan Tuohy's Granite Status: Garcia to air her first TV ad - 0
- Boston Red Sox hammer Jays for seven runs in 11th, win 11-7 - 0
- NH Motor Speedway to again host two Sprint Cup Series weekends in 2015 - 0
- St. Anselm football players practice ini August heat - 0
Backyard boulder kills Raymond homeowner
Reports: Market Basket doomsday plan would shutter 61 of 71 stores if deal not struck soon
GOP for legal pot? Hemignway's high help
Ohio's Rob Portman: GOP can win back Senate