Home » News » Public Safety
Two-alarm fire hits Portsmouth art gallery
Fire Capt. Todd Germain said the fire started about 2 p.m. Friday on a third-floor apartment at the 110 State St. building and was possibly caused by a gas-fired furnace.
Germain said the gallery was able to move most of the art to the neighboring Random Acts of Sweetness store.
"I believe a lot of it was spared," he said.
The building's attic suffered significant damage. The second- and third-floor apartments suffered smoke and water damage, while the art gallery, which is on the first floor, suffered water damage, he said.
The fire displaced "at least" three residents of the two apartments, he said, and the gallery will need renovation before being able to reopen.
The fire was under control by 2:30 p.m. Friday and nobody was injured in the blaze, Germain said. He said a second alarm was sounded because the building is in a tightly packed retail area.
"The guys did an aggressive, interior attack. That, and the fire wall, kept it confined," he said.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- AG: Missing Conway teen Abigail Hernandez reunited with family - 10
- Maine man hurt in ATV accident in northern NH - 0
- Police say North Country motor vehicle deaths down - 0
- Hiker rescued from Mount Washington - 0
- Conn. pair injured in ATV rollover in Henniker - 0
- Boy injured on bicycle, hit by pickup in Keene - 0
- Manchester driver dead in crash on I-293 - 0
- Fire destroys historic downtown Berlin building - 0
- Three-alarm fire destroys garage in Nottingham - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- New college are graduates hit by slow wage growth - 0
- Stocks finish the day slightly lower - 0
- Business economists say sales, hiring and pay are up - 0
- Bodies of downed plane's passengers leave Ukraine crash site for return to Netherlands - 0
- Market Basket customers gather in Portsmouth to support workers - 0
- Market Basket workers rally, urged to 'shut it down' until ousted CEO returns - 1
- Man arrested after shots allegedly fired in Mont Vernon - 0
- Rochester gas station robbed; Police: Could be one in string - 0
- Katie McQuaid's Scene In Manchester: Tracking street crime is her game - 0
DWI License Revocations
Shaheen's record: On insurance, it is dismal
Anti-SUV flop: Americans love utility