Home » News » Public Safety
Two-alarm fire hits Portsmouth art gallery
Fire Capt. Todd Germain said the fire started about 2 p.m. Friday on a third-floor apartment at the 110 State St. building and was possibly caused by a gas-fired furnace.
Germain said the gallery was able to move most of the art to the neighboring Random Acts of Sweetness store.
"I believe a lot of it was spared," he said.
The building's attic suffered significant damage. The second- and third-floor apartments suffered smoke and water damage, while the art gallery, which is on the first floor, suffered water damage, he said.
The fire displaced "at least" three residents of the two apartments, he said, and the gallery will need renovation before being able to reopen.
The fire was under control by 2:30 p.m. Friday and nobody was injured in the blaze, Germain said. He said a second alarm was sounded because the building is in a tightly packed retail area.
"The guys did an aggressive, interior attack. That, and the fire wall, kept it confined," he said.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Durham fire chief considered for similar post in Natick, Mass. - 0
- Wood-drying kiln heavily damaged by fire - 0
- FinnaRageTV uses Keene for promotion - 0
- After Keene riot, PSU campus on alert as party plan is spread by social media - 1
- 2-alarm Manchester fire displaces 10 - 0
- Missing Mason man found dead - 0
- Nashua police chief to retire - 0
- Pinkerton student taken to hospital after being hit by car - 1
- Heroin overdoses claim two in Laconia - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Manchester pair arrested for fighting in Merrimack parking lot - 0
- Nashua man who was shot by officer sentenced to 5-10 years - 0
- Election Day hotline established to report suspected voter fraud, abuse - 1
- Nashua man charged in child sexual assault - 0
- Two accused of trafficking women in Hampton, Hooksett and Manchester - 0
- 'Fugitive of Week' captured in Hooksett - 0
- Pedestrian struck in Keene - 0
- NHIAA Cross Country: Moskowitz, Kimball primed for Meet of Champions battle - 0
- Salem coach Rich has seen playoff runs from both sidelines - 0
Manchester pub crawl leads to arrest of four
School's out for voters