Home » News » Public Safety
Two-alarm fire hits Portsmouth art gallery
Fire Capt. Todd Germain said the fire started about 2 p.m. Friday on a third-floor apartment at the 110 State St. building and was possibly caused by a gas-fired furnace.
Germain said the gallery was able to move most of the art to the neighboring Random Acts of Sweetness store.
"I believe a lot of it was spared," he said.
The building's attic suffered significant damage. The second- and third-floor apartments suffered smoke and water damage, while the art gallery, which is on the first floor, suffered water damage, he said.
The fire displaced "at least" three residents of the two apartments, he said, and the gallery will need renovation before being able to reopen.
The fire was under control by 2:30 p.m. Friday and nobody was injured in the blaze, Germain said. He said a second alarm was sounded because the building is in a tightly packed retail area.
"The guys did an aggressive, interior attack. That, and the fire wall, kept it confined," he said.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Faulty lamp caused Manchester blaze - 0
- Burning baton twirler attracts Manchester fire truck - 0
- Another plane hits frozen Alton Bay - 0
- Police investigating crash after truck reportedly loses tire in Concord - 1
- Derry firefighters extinguish Jeep fire - 0
- Chemical spill in Newington business sends 6 to the hospital - 0
- Officials investigate suspicious Manchester blaze - 0
- UPDATED: Mass. man charged after hitting barrier at Bedford toll plaza - 2
- Massachusetts woman injured in Milan snowmobile crash - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Sens. Shaheen, Ayotte slam latest push for online sales tax - 0
- Bedford girls basketball team spreads the scoring wealth - 0
- New Hampshire high school athletes on the run (and jumping) in NYC - 0
- Ian Clark's High School Hockey: Teams anxious to play - 0
- Manchester Mayor Gatsas: Vote tells me Hooksett is satisfied with Manchester schools - 0
- After Pinkerton rejection, what's next for Hooksett students? - 0
- Nashua aldermen approve pair of union contracts - 0
- Was a crime committed? Nashua police are not certain - 0
- Nashua must decide on parkway project's bridge aesthetics - 0
SCORE workshop offers social media tips
Minimum wages: Maximum spin
Hooksett votes down Pinkerton schools deal
Hooksett has five new school board members
A CIA bombshell: Feinstein and the Fourth