Home » News » Public Safety
Mass. police dog accidentally fires stolen Manchester gun
Ivan, a 3-year-old German shepherd, and his handler, Lt. John Pickles of the Essex County Sherriff's Department, were startled when a gun Ivan was searching for in a snowbank fired when he pawed at it to indicate its location.
Essex County Sheriff's Department spokesman Maurice Pratt said the department was called in by the Lawrence Police Department for help locating a weapon after a man was seen burying something in the snow by police after a report of shots being fired.
After the gun was recovered, Detective Tom Cuddy of the Lawrence Police Department said police matched it to a gun that was stolen from Manchester on Oct. 2 of last year.
Pratt said Ivan, who is one of the department's 18 K-9s, has been with the department about a year and is narcotics and search trained.
"Ivan is trained to sit when he finds something, then the handler will instruct him to paw for the item, and that is when the gun fired," Pratt said.
While the round that was fired has not been located, Pratt said, "The most important thing is that the dog, officer and civilians are fine. We are fortunate no one was hurt."
Despite the scare, Pratt said Lt. Pickles and Ivan would not miss any time due to the incident.
"We sure have not heard of anything like this ever happening," he said.
While a police dog firing a gun he was searching for might be new, there are media accounts of man's best friend accidentally firing off a few rounds.
In November 2011, a duck hunter in Utah was injured when his dog jumped on the bow of a boat and discharged a shotgun into his owner's backside. Last week, a Florida man was shot in the leg while driving when his excited dog, who was jumping around inside a truck, hit an unsecured gun and caused it to fire.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Derry teen credited with saving home from kitchen fire - 1
- Nashua YMCA lifeguard: ‘My training just kicked in and instincts took over’ - 0
- Milford police officers want to meet you for coffee - 1
- Nashua parents: Clean up the sidewalks for students' safety - 0
- Manchester police car in collision at Union and Hayward streets - 0
- Northwood fire prompts firefighters to urge residents to clean chimneys - 0
- Rochester pedestrian, 18, struck, suffers minor injuries - 0
- Haverhill man receives call every homeowner dreads - 0
- Three firefighters recovering after injuries in fast-moving Claremont house fire - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Little Green has quartet of contenders for New England wrestling championships - 0
- Roger Brown's High School Basketball: Madness has arrived - 0
- Monarchs: Let's play three - 0
- Another View -- Diana Lacey: Union Leader editorial got gas tax hearing all wrong - 0
- Obamacare's new trick: Only temporary relief - 0
- Banning cell phones: Impulse shopping in the House - 0
- Cannon Mountain skiers head to Paralympics - 0
- John Stossel: Budget baloney - 0
- Another View - Betsy McCaughey: The Obamacare horror stories are not lies - 0
Fremont's Miss 1964 to pass on her crown
John Stossel: Budget baloney
Bad Joe: Levasseur stalls again
House says no to bill to reduce NH meals tax
Good Joe: Kenney for Executive Council