Home » Opinion » Editorials
Sequester? Siesta!: Your government at work
A friend suggests that the idea to in effect sequester the Congress itself ought to be front and center in this story.
Maybe, he says, the budget-cutting should BEGIN with Congress. Since clearly neither the House nor the Senate is doing its job, or particularly wants to even be in Washington for the heavy lifting, perhaps they are unnecessary. Ya think?
President Obama clearly doesn't care about the public in all this. His administration has made no attempt to deal rationally with this latest self-manufactured crisis. Here were its first moves:
Free from jail illegal immigrants who were bound for deportation.
Tell air travelers they would be delayed a minimum of 90 minutes due to fewer TSA workers and FAA tower personnel.
Tell state and local school departments that teachers would be cut, or not.
And our personal favorite, and a really, really serious threat to the nation: warn NASCAR fans that U.S. Air Force acrobatic flyovers at a racetrack near you may have to be stopped.
Oh, the humanity.
Meanwhile, the President burns up jet fuel and millions of dollars in every farflung appearance he has been making to campaign for his plan to cut the ?budget: raise taxes yet again.
Whatever patch job is found for this latest spectacle, don't expect it to last. The next "deadline" of March 27, for once again raising the debt ceiling, looms. The groundhog didn't see his shadow, and yet it looks like there will be no early end to the maddening Washington winter.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Voter restrictions: Who will govern us? - 26
- School board papers: Beaudry gets left behind - 1
- Data overreach Are programs really justified? The weak case for PRISM. - 11
- A Medicaid reduction? That is not likely - 8
- Border security? Maybe, some day, perhaps. Or not - 35
- Priority profs: University system tops HHS - 5
- Recognizing father: Not PC, but still OK - 1
- Closing Hanover St.: Not a 'free market' move - 6
- Step into the past: Discover old NH this weekend - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Pearl Street lot proposal involves student housing in Manchester - 0
- Manchester VFW posts fights to survive without poker cash - 0
- Surveillance led NSA to 50 terror 'events' - 0
- One arrested as Concord gun-control rally gets rowdy - 12
- Celtics, Clippers call off Doc deal - 0
- High school football is in the air as CHad practice opens - 0
- Agencies to offer summer food service to Derry children in need - 0
- Londonderry emergency shelter will now be open to pets - 0
- Derry school district continues to push its high-achieving students - 0
Voter restrictions: Who will govern us?
Nashua couple's deaths called suspicious
Mother of drowned baby gets prison time