Home » Opinion » Editorials
Sequester? Siesta!: Your government at work
A friend suggests that the idea to in effect sequester the Congress itself ought to be front and center in this story.
Maybe, he says, the budget-cutting should BEGIN with Congress. Since clearly neither the House nor the Senate is doing its job, or particularly wants to even be in Washington for the heavy lifting, perhaps they are unnecessary. Ya think?
President Obama clearly doesn't care about the public in all this. His administration has made no attempt to deal rationally with this latest self-manufactured crisis. Here were its first moves:
Free from jail illegal immigrants who were bound for deportation.
Tell air travelers they would be delayed a minimum of 90 minutes due to fewer TSA workers and FAA tower personnel.
Tell state and local school departments that teachers would be cut, or not.
And our personal favorite, and a really, really serious threat to the nation: warn NASCAR fans that U.S. Air Force acrobatic flyovers at a racetrack near you may have to be stopped.
Oh, the humanity.
Meanwhile, the President burns up jet fuel and millions of dollars in every farflung appearance he has been making to campaign for his plan to cut the ?budget: raise taxes yet again.
Whatever patch job is found for this latest spectacle, don't expect it to last. The next "deadline" of March 27, for once again raising the debt ceiling, looms. The groundhog didn't see his shadow, and yet it looks like there will be no early end to the maddening Washington winter.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Nashua school members' letter prompts an apology - 0
- UNH Law named a top 100 law school in magazine’s rankings - 0
- Loeb School spring classes offer career-change chance - 0
- 'Mathletes' chosen to represent NH in national competition - 1
- Pembroke Academy wants to help at-risk students - 0
- From Russia, with love of numbers at Nashua school - 0
- Great Bay Community College 'boot camp' trains students in precision manufacturing - 0
- Cyber defense competition coming to University of New Hampshire - 0
- Dartmouth College mourns sudden death of student - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- No dice: House kills casino gambling bill - 0
- Poetry Out Loud championship rescheduled due to storm - 0
- Portsmouth buildings being evacuated for reported gas leak - 0
- Mass. man dies in Chesterfield crash - 0
- Manchester collision results in pedestrian's death - 0
- SCORE workshop offers social media tips - 0
- Sens. Shaheen, Ayotte slam latest push for online sales tax - 4
- Bedford girls basketball team spreads the scoring wealth - 0
- New Hampshire high school athletes on the run (and jumping) in NYC - 0
SCORE workshop offers social media tips
Minimum wages: Maximum spin
Hooksett votes down Pinkerton schools deal