Home » Opinion » Editorials
Sequester? Siesta!: Your government at work
A friend suggests that the idea to in effect sequester the Congress itself ought to be front and center in this story.
Maybe, he says, the budget-cutting should BEGIN with Congress. Since clearly neither the House nor the Senate is doing its job, or particularly wants to even be in Washington for the heavy lifting, perhaps they are unnecessary. Ya think?
President Obama clearly doesn't care about the public in all this. His administration has made no attempt to deal rationally with this latest self-manufactured crisis. Here were its first moves:
Free from jail illegal immigrants who were bound for deportation.
Tell air travelers they would be delayed a minimum of 90 minutes due to fewer TSA workers and FAA tower personnel.
Tell state and local school departments that teachers would be cut, or not.
And our personal favorite, and a really, really serious threat to the nation: warn NASCAR fans that U.S. Air Force acrobatic flyovers at a racetrack near you may have to be stopped.
Oh, the humanity.
Meanwhile, the President burns up jet fuel and millions of dollars in every farflung appearance he has been making to campaign for his plan to cut the ?budget: raise taxes yet again.
Whatever patch job is found for this latest spectacle, don't expect it to last. The next "deadline" of March 27, for once again raising the debt ceiling, looms. The groundhog didn't see his shadow, and yet it looks like there will be no early end to the maddening Washington winter.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Fleeing hostile states: Gun makers will travel - 6
- Voting in NH: Not just for NH residents - 20
- Protesting information: Picket sign o' the times - 6
- Seabrook's message: No one above the law here - 3
- 'Economic patriotism'; tax rates and border jumpers - 6
- Do the job, leave; a NH candidate makes sense - 7
- Faith and freedom; a near-martyr comes to NH - 5
- Innis with terrorists? A low blow from Guinta - 2
- Basket case: Saga of a supermarket - 12
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Distracted legislating: Our baseless cellphone ban - 0
- Another View -- Betsy McCaughey: Our free lunch President - 0
- Another View -- Karlyn Borysenko: Workplace bullying is a serious problem, governor - 0
- Red Sox pull Lester from Wednesday start amid trade rumors - 0
- Accused Abby kidnapper Kibby had past minor brushes with police - 0
- Police say youths at New Boston underage drinking party resisted arrest - 0
- Man hospitalized following Rochester shooting; suspect still at large - 0
- Muskrats, Swamp Bats split twinbill - 0
- Jays' Stroman stymies Red Sox - 0
Win tickets to see ZZ Top
Win tickets to see the Pretty Reckless
Abby's alleged kidnapper held on $1M bail
When company comes, opt for variety
Dover man sought in Rochester shooting
Supporters are now 'Abby Strong'
Canobie Lake Park shuts down popular ride