North span of Portsmouth bridge to arrive overnight
The float-in of the second span of the bridge is scheduled to take place around 1 Wednesday morning when it will leave the state pier aboard the barge Cape Cod.
Once the barge is in position between piers three and four on the Kittery, Maine, side of the river, the crew will adjust the span's elevation using the temporary jacking system to lower the span onto the bearings on the top of each pier.
During the Wednesday afternoon low slack tide, the barge will be moved out from under the new span and return to the Port Authority Pier where assembly of the center span will begin.
The center span is scheduled to be floated in sometime in June.The new bridge is scheduled to be open to traffic this summer, and plans for the grand opening are already under way.
Former Portsmouth Mayor Eileen Foley was just 5 years old when she cut the ribbon to open the brand new Memorial Bridge on Aug. 17, 1923, and she is the first person to be invited to participate in the ribbon-cutting ceremony for the new bridge when it is completed. Foley celebrated her 95th birthday on Feb. 27.
Updated information on the bridge-construction project may be found at www.memorialbridgeproject.com.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Syracuse, Iowa crowned top party schools - 0
- Parking fines cause disputes, raise revenues - 1
- Jon Cavaiani dies at 70; desperate stand in '71 led to Medal of Honor - 0
- Meriam Ibrahim, family welcomed as long journey ends in Manchester - 2
- Moose International files suit to claim Claremont lodge - 0
- NH man's wife flies to Rome, meets Pope Francis after giving birth on death row in Sudan - 2
- Manchester postpones Fourth of July celebration - 0
- Reports say Sudanese Christian woman released; Manchester relative hopeful - 0
- 'Cadillac' health tax costs draw big worry - 13
READER COMMENTS: 0
- NHIAA Boys' Soccer Preview: Talent to boot - 0
- Last call at home for Fisher Cats tonight - 0
- Jessica Goldman was on the move - 0
- Band camp gets Memorial musicians in rhythm a week early - 0
- Drew Cline: Small sleights of hand in Republican primaries around NH - 0
- Where is Shaheen? Hiding from you - 0
- Portman's good point: A leadership deficit all around - 0
- Scott and Genevieve Kelley - 0
- Dan Tuohy's Granite Status: Shaheen takes on illegal immigration - 0
Where is Shaheen? Hiding from you
Reports: Market Basket doomsday plan would shutter 61 of 71 stores if deal not struck soon
GOP for legal pot? Hemignway's high help