North span of Portsmouth bridge to arrive overnight
The float-in of the second span of the bridge is scheduled to take place around 1 Wednesday morning when it will leave the state pier aboard the barge Cape Cod.
Once the barge is in position between piers three and four on the Kittery, Maine, side of the river, the crew will adjust the span's elevation using the temporary jacking system to lower the span onto the bearings on the top of each pier.
During the Wednesday afternoon low slack tide, the barge will be moved out from under the new span and return to the Port Authority Pier where assembly of the center span will begin.
The center span is scheduled to be floated in sometime in June.The new bridge is scheduled to be open to traffic this summer, and plans for the grand opening are already under way.
Former Portsmouth Mayor Eileen Foley was just 5 years old when she cut the ribbon to open the brand new Memorial Bridge on Aug. 17, 1923, and she is the first person to be invited to participate in the ribbon-cutting ceremony for the new bridge when it is completed. Foley celebrated her 95th birthday on Feb. 27.
Updated information on the bridge-construction project may be found at www.memorialbridgeproject.com.
READER COMMENTS: 1
- Aurore Eaton's Looking Back: Samuel N. Bell, 'inaugurating great enterprises' - 0
- Aurore Eaton's Looking Back: The talented and influential Bell family - 0
- Aurore Eaton's Looking Back: Edward Custer: A life lived for the sake of art - 0
- Aurore Eaton's Looking Back: Edward Custer, Swiss immigrant to Manchester, shines as an artist - 0
- Aurore Eaton's Looking Back: The Gale Home for Aged and Destitute Women still fills a need - 0
- Aurore Eaton's Looking Back: The Tale of Manchester's Mary Gale - 0
- Aurore Eaton's Looking Back: The Notre Dame de Lourdes School of Nursing — a legacy of service - 0
- Aurore Eaton's Looking Back: The Notre Dame nursing school fostered excellence and compassion - 0
- Aurore Eaton's Looking Back: A West Side hospital and nursing school are born - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Task force arrests man in Nottingham for Candia burglary - 0
- Police: Salem man used car keys to stab officer in hand - 0
- Manchester muffler shop burglarized - 0
- Boy, 12, struck in Newton remains hospitalized - 0
- State revenue under projections for November - 0
- Armed man arrested after Manchester convenience store robbery - 0
- Store cashier in Littleton refuses to give up the cash to robber - 0
- UPDATE: Dover toll plaza appears undamaged after Tuesday crash - 2
- Police: Body found in Portsmouth creek not missing UNH student - 0
UPDATE: Could be 'months' before deciding on charges in crash involving Dover city councilor
What Congress? Obama's 'easy way out'
Boy wounded by bullet was to be released