North span of Portsmouth bridge to arrive overnight
The float-in of the second span of the bridge is scheduled to take place around 1 Wednesday morning when it will leave the state pier aboard the barge Cape Cod.
Once the barge is in position between piers three and four on the Kittery, Maine, side of the river, the crew will adjust the span's elevation using the temporary jacking system to lower the span onto the bearings on the top of each pier.
During the Wednesday afternoon low slack tide, the barge will be moved out from under the new span and return to the Port Authority Pier where assembly of the center span will begin.
The center span is scheduled to be floated in sometime in June.The new bridge is scheduled to be open to traffic this summer, and plans for the grand opening are already under way.
Former Portsmouth Mayor Eileen Foley was just 5 years old when she cut the ribbon to open the brand new Memorial Bridge on Aug. 17, 1923, and she is the first person to be invited to participate in the ribbon-cutting ceremony for the new bridge when it is completed. Foley celebrated her 95th birthday on Feb. 27.
Updated information on the bridge-construction project may be found at www.memorialbridgeproject.com.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Another View -- Karlyn Borysenko: Workplace bullying is a serious problem, governor - 0
- Another View -- Fred Hiatt: Disengage from the world, and this is what happens - 0
- David Harsanyi: Are teachers really underpaid? - 9
- Jonah Goldberg: The U.N. club needs higher standards - 0
- Another View -- Mike Biundo: Where is Shaheen's gas price outrage now? - 20
- Deroy Murdock: What if Gaza were San Diego instead? - 1
- Another View -- Jayne Millerick: Dems scaring women by misleading them on contraception - 55
- Another View -- Charles Lane: Obamacare and the Constitution - 22
- John Stossel: Why are we giving the police so much power? - 1
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Distracted legislating: Our baseless cellphone ban - 0
- Workplace abuse: Governor gets one right - 0
- Red Sox pull Lester from Wednesday start amid trade rumors - 0
- Accused Abby kidnapper Kibby had past minor brushes with police - 0
- Police say youths at New Boston underage drinking party resisted arrest - 0
- Man hospitalized following Rochester shooting; suspect still at large - 0
- Muskrats, Swamp Bats split twinbill - 0
- Jays' Stroman stymies Red Sox - 0
- Police seeking help to identify alleged credit card thieves - 0
Win tickets to see ZZ Top
Win tickets to see the Pretty Reckless
Abby's alleged kidnapper held on $1M bail
When company comes, opt for variety
Voting in NH: Not just for NH residents
Gorham man arrested for kidnapping Abigail
Market Basket community waits and watches