North span of Portsmouth bridge to arrive overnight
The float-in of the second span of the bridge is scheduled to take place around 1 Wednesday morning when it will leave the state pier aboard the barge Cape Cod.
Once the barge is in position between piers three and four on the Kittery, Maine, side of the river, the crew will adjust the span's elevation using the temporary jacking system to lower the span onto the bearings on the top of each pier.
During the Wednesday afternoon low slack tide, the barge will be moved out from under the new span and return to the Port Authority Pier where assembly of the center span will begin.
The center span is scheduled to be floated in sometime in June.The new bridge is scheduled to be open to traffic this summer, and plans for the grand opening are already under way.
Former Portsmouth Mayor Eileen Foley was just 5 years old when she cut the ribbon to open the brand new Memorial Bridge on Aug. 17, 1923, and she is the first person to be invited to participate in the ribbon-cutting ceremony for the new bridge when it is completed. Foley celebrated her 95th birthday on Feb. 27.
Updated information on the bridge-construction project may be found at www.memorialbridgeproject.com.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- College Notebook: NH athletes receive fall accolades - 0
- MMA 'Throwdown at The Rock' to feature Nate LaMottee - 0
- Soccer kings' dominance unparalleled - 0
- (No heading) - 0
- UPDATED: Hopkinton High lacrosse coach Doug Maynard dies - 0
- Windham field hockey prevails in overtime - 0
- Allen Lessels UNH Notebook: And now, no room for error - 0
- High School Roundup - 0
- Ian Clark's Corner Kicks: Hanover boys are on a roll - 0
READER COMMENTS: 6
- UPDATE: Portsmouth woman, 60, identified after her body is found in creek - 1
- N.Y. man charged with reckless conduct after accidental shooting in Nashua - 1
- Cases against Keene 'Robin Hooders' dismissed by judge - 5
- Task force arrests man in Nottingham for Candia burglary - 1
- Police: Salem man used car keys to stab officer in hand - 1
- Manchester muffler shop burglarized - 0
- Boy, 12, struck in Newton remains hospitalized - 0
- State revenue under projections for November - 1
- Armed man arrested after Manchester convenience store robbery - 0
John DiStaso's Granite Status: Bob Smith ready to hire campaign manager for his 2014 US Senate run
Push to block casino in NH ramping up