BU fraternity suspended after NH student's death
Tony Barksdale II, a freshman who graduated from Souhegan High School in Amherst, N.H., last year, was rushed to the hospital after being found unconscious in an off-campus apartment early Saturday. He died a few hours later.
Boston University Dean of Students Kenneth Elmore told university website BU Today that the Sigma Alpha Mu chapter's suspension followed "reports of underage drinking and severe intoxication" at an unregistered off-campus fraternity event.
Elmore said the fraternity's national organization has also suspended the BU chapter after the death of Barksdale.
"We need to find out what happened on Friday evening and determine if there was a policy violation and how bad that violation may have been," Sigma Alpha Mu national executive director Leland Manders told BU Today. "We will work in partnership with the university offices to determine if the chapter can continue in the future and under what circumstances it continues."
READER COMMENTS: 0
- School group favors opening JROTC at Nashua high school - 0
- Athletics Dept. employee at UNH fired over 'invasion of privacy' - 0
- Loeb School spring classes include travel writing - 0
- Windham ready to open a 'Little Shop of Horrors' - 0
- Salem to decide fate of $75m school proposal - 0
- Allenstown parents mobilize to stave off $1 million school budget cut - 0
- Busy week for voters in Hollis, Brookline - 0
- Nashua to debate school spending - 0
- Test scores tell tale of one city, several towns - 4
READER COMMENTS: 0
- NHIAA Boys' Basketball: Merrimack survives scare - 0
- NHIAA Tournament Roundup: Central breaks away from Exeter - 0
- College Hockey: Dartmouth drops tournament opener - 0
- FEMA OKs $8m for repairs in Lincoln, Lebanon - 0
- Official says Manchester lost out on $1.5m for cell tower court has now ordered built - 6
- John Habib's City Sports: Derryfield's 'Mouse' made his mark - 1
- Rondo leads Celtics past Nets - 0
- Hats off to O'Neill, Monarchs - 0
- NHIAA Boys' Basketball: Maughn, Memorial top Londonderry - 0
Obamacare's new trick: Only temporary relief