BU fraternity suspended after NH student's death
Tony Barksdale II, a freshman who graduated from Souhegan High School in Amherst, N.H., last year, was rushed to the hospital after being found unconscious in an off-campus apartment early Saturday. He died a few hours later.
Boston University Dean of Students Kenneth Elmore told university website BU Today that the Sigma Alpha Mu chapter's suspension followed "reports of underage drinking and severe intoxication" at an unregistered off-campus fraternity event.
Elmore said the fraternity's national organization has also suspended the BU chapter after the death of Barksdale.
"We need to find out what happened on Friday evening and determine if there was a policy violation and how bad that violation may have been," Sigma Alpha Mu national executive director Leland Manders told BU Today. "We will work in partnership with the university offices to determine if the chapter can continue in the future and under what circumstances it continues."
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Comedian Joan Rivers dead at age 81 says daughter - 0
- U.S. says Islamic State video of journalist's killing is authentic - 0
- No paper on Monday; check UnionLeader.com for updated, breaking news - 0
- Concord attorney Leahy dies - 0
- Robin Williams’ ashes are scattered in San Francisco Bay - 0
- Syracuse, Iowa crowned top party schools - 0
- Parking fines cause disputes, raise revenues - 1
- Jon Cavaiani dies at 70; desperate stand in '71 led to Medal of Honor - 0
- Meriam Ibrahim, family welcomed as long journey ends in Manchester - 2
READER COMMENTS: 0
- GT Advanced Technology attorney hoping for Apple agreement today to allow more openness in bankruptcy court - 0
- Nashua caretaker wants evidence suppressed in sexual assault case - 0
- Former coach from Nashua charged in sex assaults claims confession was involuntary - 0
- NH highways have potentialy deadly guardrail end pieces, transportation commissioner says - 0
- Neighbor won't be charged in shooting death of Rumney chiropractor - 9
- Staples says it is probing possible payment card data breach - 0
- Manchester police: Ga. man stole truck in Mass. to visit mom in NH - 0
- South African Olympian Pistorius sentenced to five years in girlfriend's murder - 0
- Expect the unexpected in NHIAA field hockey tourneys - 0
A series of sharp exchanges at 2nd CD debate
Murder-suicide ruled in Fremont deaths
Keene police working to identify rioters, notify other colleges of students' participation
Locked in a dead heat, Shaheen, Brown spar