BU fraternity suspended after NH student's death
Tony Barksdale II, a freshman who graduated from Souhegan High School in Amherst, N.H., last year, was rushed to the hospital after being found unconscious in an off-campus apartment early Saturday. He died a few hours later.
Boston University Dean of Students Kenneth Elmore told university website BU Today that the Sigma Alpha Mu chapter's suspension followed "reports of underage drinking and severe intoxication" at an unregistered off-campus fraternity event.
Elmore said the fraternity's national organization has also suspended the BU chapter after the death of Barksdale.
"We need to find out what happened on Friday evening and determine if there was a policy violation and how bad that violation may have been," Sigma Alpha Mu national executive director Leland Manders told BU Today. "We will work in partnership with the university offices to determine if the chapter can continue in the future and under what circumstances it continues."
READER COMMENTS: 0
- College Notebook: NH athletes receive fall accolades - 0
- MMA 'Throwdown at The Rock' to feature Nate LaMottee - 0
- Soccer kings' dominance unparalleled - 0
- (No heading) - 0
- UPDATED: Hopkinton High lacrosse coach Doug Maynard dies - 0
- Windham field hockey prevails in overtime - 0
- Allen Lessels UNH Notebook: And now, no room for error - 0
- High School Roundup - 0
- Ian Clark's Corner Kicks: Hanover boys are on a roll - 0
READER COMMENTS: 6
- UPDATE: Portsmouth woman, 60, identified after her body is found in creek - 1
- N.Y. man charged with reckless conduct after accidental shooting in Nashua - 1
- Cases against Keene 'Robin Hooders' dismissed by judge - 5
- Task force arrests man in Nottingham for Candia burglary - 1
- Police: Salem man used car keys to stab officer in hand - 1
- Manchester muffler shop burglarized - 0
- Boy, 12, struck in Newton remains hospitalized - 0
- State revenue under projections for November - 1
- Armed man arrested after Manchester convenience store robbery - 0
John DiStaso's Granite Status: Bob Smith ready to hire campaign manager for his 2014 US Senate run
Push to block casino in NH ramping up