BU fraternity suspended after NH student's death
Tony Barksdale II, a freshman who graduated from Souhegan High School in Amherst, N.H., last year, was rushed to the hospital after being found unconscious in an off-campus apartment early Saturday. He died a few hours later.
Boston University Dean of Students Kenneth Elmore told university website BU Today that the Sigma Alpha Mu chapter's suspension followed "reports of underage drinking and severe intoxication" at an unregistered off-campus fraternity event.
Elmore said the fraternity's national organization has also suspended the BU chapter after the death of Barksdale.
"We need to find out what happened on Friday evening and determine if there was a policy violation and how bad that violation may have been," Sigma Alpha Mu national executive director Leland Manders told BU Today. "We will work in partnership with the university offices to determine if the chapter can continue in the future and under what circumstances it continues."
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Deroy Murdock: Hillary's Benghazi-Whitewater connection? - 2
- George Will: Obama needs Congress to approve this war - 0
- Jonah Goldberg: Obama is rushing into war against Islamic State - 1
- Another View -- Bill Duncan: What did the NH Supreme Court really say about private school funding? - 7
- Charles Arlinghaus: NH's job problem needs more than one fix - 5
- Pat Buchanan: In Scotland, it's economic man vs. tribal man - 0
- Another View -- Sharon Day: The Democrats' claim to be the party for women is just not believable - 66
- Deroy Murdock: Stuff the Obama lunch tax - 2
- David Harsanyi: The senators who really threaten America - 1
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Scots spurn independence, vote to stay in the United Kingdom - 0
- Roger Brown's First and 10: Answers forthcoming - 0
- NHMS chief Gappens is on board with the Chase changes - 0
- Another View -- Ben Rose: How NH's John Stark helped defeat the British at Saratoga - 0
- Celebrating Claremont: A 250th birthday party - 0
- Trashed lunches: Brownies, broccoli and bucks - 6
- Hampstead's Suess ready for Whelen Modified race - 0
- College Football: Big Green kick off season vs. Cent. Connecticut - 0
- Son says shooting of mom during DEA raid was a mistake - 11
Supporters eager for Hillary's return to NH
Manchester family heartbroken after finding lost kitten was adopted from shelter, family refuses to return it