BU fraternity suspended after NH student's death
Tony Barksdale II, a freshman who graduated from Souhegan High School in Amherst, N.H., last year, was rushed to the hospital after being found unconscious in an off-campus apartment early Saturday. He died a few hours later.
Boston University Dean of Students Kenneth Elmore told university website BU Today that the Sigma Alpha Mu chapter's suspension followed "reports of underage drinking and severe intoxication" at an unregistered off-campus fraternity event.
Elmore said the fraternity's national organization has also suspended the BU chapter after the death of Barksdale.
"We need to find out what happened on Friday evening and determine if there was a policy violation and how bad that violation may have been," Sigma Alpha Mu national executive director Leland Manders told BU Today. "We will work in partnership with the university offices to determine if the chapter can continue in the future and under what circumstances it continues."
READER COMMENTS: 3
- Ramesh Ponnuru: Why the latest corporate tax cut plan won't work - 1
- Aidan Connell: Manchester Central educated this Hooksett student very well - 11
- Deroy Murdock; Fracking is 'greener' than environmentalists want to admit - 8
- Margaret Carlson: Is Obamacare challenging enough yet for President Obama? - 4
- George Will: Scott Walker, action figure governor - 1
- Charles Krauthammer: An outbreak of lawlessness - 1
- Roger Simon: Be thankful for American farm production - 1
- John Stossel: Thankful for property - 7
- Thomas Sowell: Race, politics and 'the knockout game' - 16
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Celts win, take first place - 0
- Triangle Credit Union on Manchester's Candia Road hit by robber - 0
- Fire destroys South Hampton barn - 0
- Dover woman charged after crash into Dover toll plaza - 0
- Thornton woman hit by car in Campton - 0
- Boy out walking hit, injured by Jeep in Newton - 0
- Police investigating why Maine woman died in Somersworth apartment - 0
- PSU releases details of Councilor Ray Burton memorial service - 0
- Body found floating in Portsmouth - 0
Victims of Kwiatkowski devastated by illness
What Congress? Obama's 'easy way out'
Boy wounded by bullet was to be released
John DiStaso's Granite Status: Scott Brown cites NH as example of Obamacare 'trainwreck,' will keynote NHGOP event