Virginia Barry to be renominated as state education commissioner
"Preparing our young people for the jobs of today and tomorrow means ensuring that at each step along the way, their education is providing them with the skills, knowledge and innovative thinking needed for success in the 21st century economy," Hassan said. "Virginia Barry has demonstrated steadfast dedication to the children of New Hampshire, and leaders across the education community have praised her ability to bring people together to develop solutions for the challenges facing our schools."
Barry was named commissioner in 2009 by former Gov. John Lynch. She was a teacher, tenured university professor, and provost and vice president for academic affairs before taking the post.
Barry said, "Serving as the New Hampshire commissioner of education is truly a great privilege, and I look forward to working with Gov. Hassan to provide our young people with the robust education they need for good, stable careers."
Barry received her B.S. degree from Florida State University and M.S. from Queens College City University of New York and State University of New York at Stony Brook. She received her Ph.D. from Florida State University, with postdoctoral studies at New York University, Harvard College and William and Mary.
The Executive Council will hold a public hearing on Barry's nomination before voting on her confirmation at a future council meeting.
READER COMMENTS: 3
- Charles Krauthammer: America in retreat, allies abandoned - 0
- Charles Lane: A Social Security fix that fixes nothing - 17
- Fergus Cullen: Baines and Bramante modernize education for the iTunes era - 2
- John Stossel: Want to give back? Start a business - 8
- Ted Gatsas and Bob Baines: STEAM Ahead will transform students' lives in Manchester - 6
- Jonah Goldberg: No, Obamacare is not remotely close to fixed - 2
- George Will: A case for containing Iran - 0
- New Hampshire's long-term health continues to decline - 8
- Lou Catano: Non-profit directors know that NH is a special, giving place - 0
READER COMMENTS: 23
- Winter storm pushes up East Coast after weekend blast - 0
- Police looking for information about blood on Pelham road - 0
- UNH drops Saturday night game to BC, 2-1 - 0
- Patriots stun Cleveland in another wild comeback - 1
- Mass. man says he may have seen missing Conway girl on video - 2
- 'Unprepared' Canadian hikers rescued from Mt. Washington - 1
- Vemont pair killed, Sunapee man hurt in crash on I-89 in Lebanon - 0
- Napoli returns to Boston with two-year deal - 0
- Celtics come up big against Nuggets - 0
UNH unveils new 'shield' logo
Word of Abby's letter spurs tips of no use
UPDATE: 2 dead in I-89 crash in Lebanon, highway northbound restricted to one lane as of 8:20 p.m.
UNH unveils new 'shield' logo
Reams threatens to sue county commissioners
Dover police arrest 3 on drug charges
UNH lecturers seek to unionize
- Should schools do more to police food and beverages consumed at school?
- Total Votes: 112