Virginia Barry to be renominated as state education commissioner
"Preparing our young people for the jobs of today and tomorrow means ensuring that at each step along the way, their education is providing them with the skills, knowledge and innovative thinking needed for success in the 21st century economy," Hassan said. "Virginia Barry has demonstrated steadfast dedication to the children of New Hampshire, and leaders across the education community have praised her ability to bring people together to develop solutions for the challenges facing our schools."
Barry was named commissioner in 2009 by former Gov. John Lynch. She was a teacher, tenured university professor, and provost and vice president for academic affairs before taking the post.
Barry said, "Serving as the New Hampshire commissioner of education is truly a great privilege, and I look forward to working with Gov. Hassan to provide our young people with the robust education they need for good, stable careers."
Barry received her B.S. degree from Florida State University and M.S. from Queens College City University of New York and State University of New York at Stony Brook. She received her Ph.D. from Florida State University, with postdoctoral studies at New York University, Harvard College and William and Mary.
The Executive Council will hold a public hearing on Barry's nomination before voting on her confirmation at a future council meeting.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Betsy McCaughey: Congress should take the lead on Iraq - 2
- Another View - Rick Santorum: When Israel needs our help, we have to be there - 0
- Thomas Sowell: Liberal urban police policies won't quell riots - 0
- Another View -- Frank Guinta: I am uniquely qualified to represent NH in Congress - 11
- Deroy Murdock: The indictment of Rick Perry is bizarre and unfounded - 0
- Another View - Marc Champion: A strong terror policy would cure Obama's golf woes - 0
- Jonah Goldberg: Obama confuses the TV world with the real one - 2
- George Will: In defense of the defenders - 0
- Roger Simon: Is Ferguson the future? - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Market Basket deal reached; Arthur T. Demoulas to return - 1
- Police mum on reported shooting in Manchester - 0
- Manchester men charged with drive-by shooting in Nashua - 0
- Multiple reports say deal reached for Arthur T. to buy Market Basket - 0
- Fisher Cats get behind early, fall to Senators - 0
- Sox downed on pinch-hit homer - 0
- Sister of accused Boston marathon bombers arrested after bomb threat - 0
- Authorities mum about reports of shooting in Manchester - 0
- Bruins agree to long-term agreement with Providence - 0
Reports: Market Basket doomsday plan would shutter 61 of 71 stores if deal not struck soon
GOP for legal pot? Hemignway's high help
Ohio's Rob Portman: GOP can win back Senate