Virginia Barry to be renominated as state education commissioner
"Preparing our young people for the jobs of today and tomorrow means ensuring that at each step along the way, their education is providing them with the skills, knowledge and innovative thinking needed for success in the 21st century economy," Hassan said. "Virginia Barry has demonstrated steadfast dedication to the children of New Hampshire, and leaders across the education community have praised her ability to bring people together to develop solutions for the challenges facing our schools."
Barry was named commissioner in 2009 by former Gov. John Lynch. She was a teacher, tenured university professor, and provost and vice president for academic affairs before taking the post.
Barry said, "Serving as the New Hampshire commissioner of education is truly a great privilege, and I look forward to working with Gov. Hassan to provide our young people with the robust education they need for good, stable careers."
Barry received her B.S. degree from Florida State University and M.S. from Queens College City University of New York and State University of New York at Stony Brook. She received her Ph.D. from Florida State University, with postdoctoral studies at New York University, Harvard College and William and Mary.
The Executive Council will hold a public hearing on Barry's nomination before voting on her confirmation at a future council meeting.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Reports say Sudanese Christian woman released; Manchester relative hopeful - 0
- 'Cadillac' health tax costs draw big worry - 13
- Wastewater lagoon blamed for Exit 4 odor - 0
- Author and poet Maya Angelou dies at 86 - 0
- After controversy, retired NH superior court judge fights for kudos - 4
- Road to be closed for fallen Brentwood officer's procession - 0
- Brentwood Officer Arkell's death adds fresh pain to somber law enforcement memorial ceremony - 1
- Conference participants take on climate change planning - 1
- NH agencies see growing needs for seniors - 1
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Another View -- Jayne Millerick: Dems scaring women by misleading them on contraception - 0
- Basket case: Saga of a supermarket - 3
- Patriots Notebook: Ongoing renovations in Foxborough - 0
- Three years later, investigation continues into homicide of Celina Cass - 0
- Nashua celebration in the works for Medal of Honor recipient - 0
- Fisher Cats down Senators in road trip opener - 0
- No water for Manchester sewer bill scofflaws? - 2
- New Boston mulch processing plant plans under review - 0
- Manchester Crimewatch: Defense attorney seeks home confinement for drug addict - 0
Market Basket walkout a future case study
UPDATED: Thousands of Market Basket employees rally; company board issues statement on purchase offer, reaffirms support for new CEOs
Basket case: Saga of a supermarket