Virginia Barry to be renominated as state education commissioner
"Preparing our young people for the jobs of today and tomorrow means ensuring that at each step along the way, their education is providing them with the skills, knowledge and innovative thinking needed for success in the 21st century economy," Hassan said. "Virginia Barry has demonstrated steadfast dedication to the children of New Hampshire, and leaders across the education community have praised her ability to bring people together to develop solutions for the challenges facing our schools."
Barry was named commissioner in 2009 by former Gov. John Lynch. She was a teacher, tenured university professor, and provost and vice president for academic affairs before taking the post.
Barry said, "Serving as the New Hampshire commissioner of education is truly a great privilege, and I look forward to working with Gov. Hassan to provide our young people with the robust education they need for good, stable careers."
Barry received her B.S. degree from Florida State University and M.S. from Queens College City University of New York and State University of New York at Stony Brook. She received her Ph.D. from Florida State University, with postdoctoral studies at New York University, Harvard College and William and Mary.
The Executive Council will hold a public hearing on Barry's nomination before voting on her confirmation at a future council meeting.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Thomas Sowell: Playing the race card at the border - 0
- Another View -- John Dumais: Mandatory GMO labeling is all cost, no benefit - 5
- Another View -- Stephen L. Carter: Why is the left going after profit? - 8
- Clifford D. May: Pinpointing the cause and effect in Gaza - 2
- You Turn, NH -- Suellen Griffin: There is first aid for mental health, too, and it works - 2
- Pat Buchanan: We are transforming into the Brazil of North America - 2
- Gail Fisher's Dog Tracks: Before your dog takes a dip in fresh water, learn about toxic algae risks - 0
- Another View -- Yehuda Yaakov: What Israel is up against - 7
- Another View -- Betsy McCaughey: Scaremongering is the left's hobby - 2
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Another View -- Gilles Bissonnette: To keep Libertarians off the ballot, NH violates their rights - 0
- Insanity: Obamacare and the rule of law - 1
- Tom Woodlock All-Stars primed for success in Babe Ruth tournament - 0
- Manchester waives right to buy Millyard building - 0
- Police search for missing Stratford woman - 0
- Blue Jays cool off Red Sox - 0
- Passers-by, including two active-duty Army soldiers, help rescue mom, daughter in I-93 rollover - 0
- Manchester panel OKs new academic standards, despite Common Core criticism - 0
- Still no budget in Nashua - 0
Passers-by, including two active-duty Army soldiers, help rescue mom, daughter in I-93 rollover
U.S. appeals courts issue conflicting rulings on Obamacare exchange subsidies such as NH's
Insanity: Obamacare and the rule of law