All Sections
Welcome guest, you have 2 views left.  Register| Sign In

Manchester bus driver puts out fire, suffers breathing problems

MANCHESTER - A school bus driver was taken to the Elliot Hospital Tuesday afternoon with breathing difficulties after he used a chemical extinguisher to put out an electrical fire on the bus.

The driver was alone on the full-size bus at Valley and Pine streets when the fire broke out. The call was received by the fire department at 1:39 p.m.

District Fire Chief Michael Gamache said the driver did what he thought he should in trying to take care of the fire himself, but Gamache said firefighters are properly equipped to deal with such a fire.

As a result of his efforts, the driver suffered breathing difficulties that required transport to the hospital for treatment.

Manchester Transit Authority Executive Director Michael Whitten said late Tuesday afternoon that the driver was reportedly doing well at the hospital, but Whitten declined to identify him beyond using his first name of "Joe" without speaking with the driver himself.


Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Follow our RSS feed
Union Leader app for Apple iPad or Android *
Click to download from Apple Apps StoreClick to download from Android Marketplace
* e-Edition subscription required

More Public Safety

NH Angle