Home » News » Public Safety
Manchester bus driver puts out fire, suffers breathing problems
The driver was alone on the full-size bus at Valley and Pine streets when the fire broke out. The call was received by the fire department at 1:39 p.m.
District Fire Chief Michael Gamache said the driver did what he thought he should in trying to take care of the fire himself, but Gamache said firefighters are properly equipped to deal with such a fire.
As a result of his efforts, the driver suffered breathing difficulties that required transport to the hospital for treatment.
Manchester Transit Authority Executive Director Michael Whitten said late Tuesday afternoon that the driver was reportedly doing well at the hospital, but Whitten declined to identify him beyond using his first name of "Joe" without speaking with the driver himself.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Dover snowmobiler dies in Barnstead crash - 0
- Most property owners clear hydrants of snow - 0
- Manchester man dies after being hit by car - 0
- Family, pet cats and snake escape Nottingham fire - 0
- Two officers pinpointed in Weare shooting - 0
- School bus slides off road, slams into trees in Deerfield - 0
- For Nashua student walkers, commute may soon be safer - 1
- Several pets succumb to fire at Farmington home Thursday - 0
- Portsmouth buildings evacuated for reported gas leak - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- NHGOP: Rand Paul wins straw poll - 0
- Bath Iron Works gets nod for fifth destroyer - 0
- Errol town warrant passes easily - 0
- Gail Fisher's Dog Tracks: Yes, dogs can also suffer from fear of new situations - 0
- Charles Krauthammer: How to handle Putin - 0
- Chamber, Covering New Hampshire host health insurance roundtable - 0
- NH Business Newsmakers: Strange joins Blake's All Natural Foods - 0
- Div. I Hockey Championship: Central ends title drought on the ice - 0
- Div. II Hockey Championship: Bedford makes it perfect for third straight - 0
Dick Pinney's Guidelines: Online license purchases prove user unfriendly for some hunters and anglers
Auburn native believes in faith and fashion
Snowmobiler dies; 4th fatality of season
Charles Krauthammer: How to handle Putin
Bath Iron Works gets nod for fifth destroyer
NHGOP: Rand Paul wins straw poll
GOP panel stresses teamwork, sincerity