Home » News » Public Safety
Manchester bus driver puts out fire, suffers breathing problems
The driver was alone on the full-size bus at Valley and Pine streets when the fire broke out. The call was received by the fire department at 1:39 p.m.
District Fire Chief Michael Gamache said the driver did what he thought he should in trying to take care of the fire himself, but Gamache said firefighters are properly equipped to deal with such a fire.
As a result of his efforts, the driver suffered breathing difficulties that required transport to the hospital for treatment.
Manchester Transit Authority Executive Director Michael Whitten said late Tuesday afternoon that the driver was reportedly doing well at the hospital, but Whitten declined to identify him beyond using his first name of "Joe" without speaking with the driver himself.
READER COMMENTS: 1
- Manchester police to hold ‘Coffee with a Cop’ event - 0
- Keene ordinance against synthetic drugs seems to be working - 0
- Plea deal for woman who allegedly supplied drug hours before Hampton double fatal - 0
- Merrimack rollover sends Mass. driver to hospital - 0
- Suit claims Hudson violates rights of panhandlers - 1
- Driver hits Rochester monument, rolls car and is trapped - 0
- Nashua firefighters put out two fires; 14 people forced out in Palm Street blaze - 0
- Two injured in late night car crash in Londonderry - 0
- Hampton Falls woman charged with striking Rye police officer with her car - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Traffic signal stop leads to drug arrest in Merrimack - 0
- NH Fisher Cats slam way to win over Trenton - 0
- Officials hire principal for Golden Brook school - 0
- Seniors help students start year on the right foot, with the write stuff - 0
- Derry councilors select semi-finalists for town admin job - 0
- Plaistow begins search for new police chief - 0
- Without an exemption, Goffstown resident must pay high taxes on solar energy panels - 1
- Manchester police officer finds gun in cyclist’s backpack - 2
- President Obama: Rescue attempt of NH-based journalist James Foley failed - 13
Derry to NH: Take Exit 4A
Editorial: Garcia gains Lambert lies
Hassan, Havenstein both raise nearly $2m