Home » News » Public Safety
Police believe accidental shooting injured Madbury woman Saturday
Police, firefighters and emergency personnel responded around 7 p.m. after receiving a report that the woman, Ashley Smith, 25, sustained a gunshot to the leg at her home at 309 Knox Marsh Road. Knox Marsh Road is Route 155 in Madbury.
McGann said investigators believe the incident occurred while her husband, Jeffery Smith, 27, was showing her his new 9 mm pistol.
"Right now, it appears to be a truly accidental shooting," Madbury Police Chief Joseph McGann said, adding the matter remains under investigation and will eventually be reviewed by the County Attorney's Office.
McGann said crews from McGregor Ambulance transported the woman, who sustained non-life threatening injuries, to Wentworth-Douglass Hospital in Dover. He said her husband, who was very cooperative, drove to the hospital to be with her.
"There was no exit wound - so it wasn't in and out," McGann said.
Regardless of experience or training, McGann said police hope everyone with a weapon always treat it as if it's loaded, keep it pointed "down range" and away from other people. "When you own firearms, there's a certain responsibility that comes with it," McGann said, adding all gun owners should complete a gun safety course and stay up to date with procedures and the law.
McGann said there are many qualified and certified weapons safety classes in the area. He added he usually refers local residents to take a course at Major Waldron Sportsmen's Association in Barrington.
READER COMMENTS: 1
- Manchester police to hold ‘Coffee with a Cop’ event - 0
- Keene ordinance against synthetic drugs seems to be working - 0
- Plea deal for woman who allegedly supplied drug hours before Hampton double fatal - 0
- Merrimack rollover sends Mass. driver to hospital - 0
- Suit claims Hudson violates rights of panhandlers - 1
- Driver hits Rochester monument, rolls car and is trapped - 0
- Nashua firefighters put out two fires; 14 people forced out in Palm Street blaze - 0
- Two injured in late night car crash in Londonderry - 0
- Hampton Falls woman charged with striking Rye police officer with her car - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Traffic signal stop leads to drug arrest in Merrimack - 0
- NH Fisher Cats slam way to win over Trenton - 0
- Officials hire principal for Golden Brook school - 0
- Seniors help students start year on the right foot, with the write stuff - 0
- Derry councilors select semi-finalists for town admin job - 0
- Plaistow begins search for new police chief - 0
- Without an exemption, Goffstown resident must pay high taxes on solar energy panels - 1
- Manchester police officer finds gun in cyclist’s backpack - 2
- President Obama: Rescue attempt of NH-based journalist James Foley failed - 9
Derry to NH: Take Exit 4A
Editorial: Garcia gains Lambert lies
Hassan, Havenstein both raise nearly $2m