Home » News » Public Safety
Dozen people temporarily displaced after small Manchester fire
District Fire Chief Mark Pelletier said a maintenance man smelled smoke at the 383 Merrimack St. building and called 911 just before 7 p.m.
The fire was in basement wiring running underneath a first floor joist, he said. Firefighters used a chain saw to cut out a section of the beam because of fire damage.
Pelletier said about 12 tenants reside at the six-unit apartment building (one apartment is vacant) and all had to find alternate housing because power was cut to the building.
They will not be able to return until an electrician is brought in and repairs are made, according to Pelletier. He estimated damage at $3,000.
READER COMMENTS: 8
- Cause of 3-alarm Derry fire remains under investigation - 0
- Claremont police warn public about suspicious soda bottles - 0
- Mechanical failure ruled out in fatal plane crash that claimed lives of two Kingston men - 0
- UPDATED: Cause of three-alarm Derry blaze under investigation - 1
- Woman shot during Manchester drug raid ID'd - 0
- Weare police chief on leave amid domestic violence probe - 2
- Traffic backed up a mile in Hampton tractor-trailer accident - 0
- Citizen's Police Academy in Manchester set for Oct. 1 - 0
- Heating unit cause of blaze in Manchester - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Keene man arrested in assault on 2-year-old - 0
- House upholds three Gov. Hassan vetoes, ends 2014 session - 0
- Police say woman, daughters robbed of their purses in Manchester motel parking lot - 0
- UNH math professor wins 2014 MacArthur Fellowship - 0
- Another View -- Bill Duncan: What did the NH Supreme Court really say about private school funding? - 6
- Charles Arlinghaus: NH's job problem needs more than one fix - 4
- USNH's raw deal: Part deux - 2
- Every vote counts: Here is the proof - 5
- College Sports Roundup: NEC's Locke scores twice in soccer win - 0
Man accused of raping 13-year old in Nashua
Seabrook mom pleads not guilty by reason of insanity to attempted murder of her two children
Win tickets to see Demi Lovato
Another View -- Sharon Day: The Democrats' claim to be the party for women is just not believable
Another View -- Bill Duncan: What did the NH Supreme Court really say about private school funding?
Every vote counts: Here is the proof